Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Specified What Needed - Help not so Helpful

• Please log in to reply

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ar-t263861.html

My comments are in reference to the above link that deals with my personal computer.

I was asked what my objective was and I responded that it is to fix my computer WITHOUT having to re-install the programs. The person assisting said to do a repair. I read many, many pages under the repair instructions and found where they say that doing a repair will cause one to have to re-install one's programs. I don't understand why he/she would suggest such a thing since this is absolutely opposite my objectives. What if I had trusted the person and blindly followed their instructions? I find that the helpers are not always reading what is written and respond generically instead of specifically which is not always helpful.

I would like someone with more experience to assist me. I read the different posts and see some helpers doing above and beyond and some should not be assisting. I would like to see a place to post - where you can request a different helper when the current person is not working in one's best interest.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi RiverMiss,

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system!

The above quote is from the repair install guide you were linked to by Broni, our Tech Staff member who is volunteering time to help you fix your computer problems. I have done many repair installations in the past with no problems. After further reading your concerns in the thread, the quote you have referenced from admin is only when the Windows XP disc does not find an OS to repair. If this is the case then obviously you would not be able to retrieve the programs any longer.

This is an internet forum; anyone with internet access who registers here is able to post here. Therefore it is always advisable to take everything said with a grain of salt, and do further research to clarify any questions you may have - yes, even double-check on what I and other staff have to say.

Cheers

Troy

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have been thinking about what is frustrating me and wanted to post it.

I read posts from Geeks Helpers. It is apparent that some Helpers are more experience than others. This would be expected. What is frustrating is when someone is helping that encounters a problem that is above their experience level. I wish their was a way to get a problem kicked up a level when this happens. It seems that once a person takes on an issue they are they only one that responds. Have you all thought about other ways of doing things that might better help the people that come here?

Thanks,

RiverMiss

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
There is no way of which I am aware to escalate an issue to a different level of service here on the forums.

The only thing you could do is ask in the thread itself, something like "I feel like you are not understanding my issue correctly, is there someone else who can read through this thread and give a second opinion?" Although some members may not take this kindly.

Or if you see someone else who is giving assistance, you can send them a PM with the link to your thread kindly asking them to take a look.

However there is another factor to the equation which must be considered, that of the end user (in this case that would be yourself). Is the end user correctly understanding the instructions and carrying them out correctly? After all, we are simply guiding the user on what to do, not doing it ourselves. I am not implying here that you specifically don't know what you're talking about, just looking at it objectively and showing another point of view (as a helper).

Either way I have had a quick look through your thread and have offered some thoughts.

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Or if you see someone else who is giving assistance, you can send them a PM with the link to your thread kindly asking them to take a look

I do this often since I've been around the Forum for a little over a year, if I have a problem I need help with, I politely PM "my favorite helper(s)" and ask them if they wouldn't mind taking a look at my topic. You should always include a link to your topic, that helps.

And if it's any help or consolation, Broni is one of the very people I PM, he is extremely knowledgeable. Troy happens to be one as well... coincidence really. I hope you are able to get your computer fixed, good luck... and thanks for the feedback.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Me? Nah... you must be mistaken. I just copy/paste from others... :)

:) Experience is always the best teacher, there are a number of things I would try if the OPs machine was in my workshop but it becomes a whole new ballgame when trying to guide someone online.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I added a couple of things in the topic i just found Troy and it may be worth a look at.
Same exact issue back in August 2009. I also included a link to that topic with some specific pointers that I found.