Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hdd and upgrading to windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Kayneo

Kayneo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Wasnt sure if this was in the right area but couldn't think of a better place. Basically tomorrow im am going out to purchase a new hdd (samsung f3 500gb) and windows 7. I havent got any way to back up my data, so my first question is can i add the new hardrive to my computer, move all my data across, then format the old drive and install the operating system onto that and is it as simple as it sounds if possible?
Next, what would be the best way to setup my drives. I am an avid gamer and as such was thinking of using the new hdd soley for my games and then having the operating system, documents and other programs on my old hdd (160gb), would this be a good idea? if not what would the best setup be?

Thanks,
Kayne

Advertisements

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I dont know the best way. But here is what I do.

1. Take the old hard drive out. (Unplugg the SATA and power from it)
2. Install the new Hard Drive
3. Install Windows 7 on the new hard drive. Make sure this is the only hard drive in the system.
4. Once you have your WIndows 7 installed, run all the driver installs, updates and install your antivirus.
5. Once he system is working the way you like. Plug your old hard drive back in and copy all your data back

This is the easiest way with teh tools you have. I think the windows 7 will run nice on a 500GB drive. THen use your old 160 for storing other stuff.

Kayneo

Kayneo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply, ill do it that way.

1 last thing, by windows 7 will run nice on the 500gb, do you mean windows 7 and games on the 500gb, then docs and other programs on the 160gb? or just windows 7 on the 500gb by itself?

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I usually keep my games and Programs on My C:\. I like to keep my pictures and documents on a different drive. But thats just me

Kayneo

Kayneo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks!, just curious, what will happen when i put the second drive back in, as it still has an operating system on it?

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
well hopefully it will still boot into your new windows 7. Once it dows, it will act like you are plugging a printer or usb hard drive in. Give it a minute or two then click on my computer. You should see it in there.

If it does not go as smooth. Post back I will help you out