Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shuts down

• Please log in to reply

gold_y

gold_y

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
the problem with my pc has been that makes a loud grinding noise when i switch on the chasis.I ignored it initially but today it just shut down on me twice and that gets me worried.Anyone who could tell me what is happening?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Desktop?
Any warranty on it?
If Not open it up and take a look at the cpu fan and the PSU fan. Sounds like a fan is failing and if I were to take a guess i would say the PSU.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
no warranty i assembled it myself.the thing is open and i dont know how to differenciate between CPU and PSU faults.Help would be appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU is the power supply.
When you turn on the system while looking at the back of the system is the power supply fan turning or is it making the noise?
The cpu fan is the the fan that sits on top of the processor on the motherboard.
Is it turning when you turn the system on?

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i know where the fans are located but the problem is i dont know which 1 is faulty both of them are working fine but the grinding noise comes at the time of booting and stops after a while and like i mentioned earlier the pc shut down on me twice today,once right after i started and then after a while its working fine for now but i dont know for how long.

Edited by gold_y, 17 January 2010 - 04:22 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok the grinding noise can be coming from a fan, a hard drive or a cdrom drive.
Not much else in mechanical parts that can make that kind of noise.
Opening the system up and turning it on is the only way to test it to try and run down the problem.
If you were to take it to a shop I can guarantee you that is all they will do.
To be safe I would suggest disconnecting the main hd so that any data will not be lost by doing this. Also if it is the main drive the sound will stop with the drive disconnected and not powered.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i want to point out the desktop i am talking about is the same i am using & i took off the side panel to have a look at it but like i said i donot know nor can i make out what part is making the noise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the noise stops after a while or within a couple of seconds?
If so I would still say a fan is the culprit.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
it stops about 30 seconds after boot up and i dont know if it is CPU fan or PSu fan that makes the noise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you turn the system on the noise happens. Can you tell if it is inside or from the back?
If on the inside then you will have to turn the system on and off a couple of times to run the sound down.

Advertisements

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
it aint doing any good.Like i said this is not the first time i am trouble shooting the noise.Cant figure it out.can you gimme the fixes for both the fans just in case??

Edited by gold_y, 17 January 2010 - 05:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point you can disconnect everything form the motherboard and do a inside bench test. If that doesn't work then a outside bench test would be needed.
Normally this would be for checking for a short but by disconnecting power from everything but what is really needed to start the system then you can narrow down the possible culprits.
I would disconnect all drives from power and make sure there are no external drives, thumb drives, flash drives or anything like that connected to the system.
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor
Now the only thing that can make the noise when you turn it on is the fans or the power supply. The only other part connected is the motherboard which it can't make that kind of noise because there are no moving parts on it.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
can you gimme the fixes for both the fans just in case or would i have to take'em to the tech shop?Since i assembled it myself it doesn't have any warranty as a whole but Cpu has a warranty period yet to expire though i cannot say the same for the PSU which is past the warranty period.

Edited by gold_y, 17 January 2010 - 05:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is the power supply then it would have to be replaced.
The cpu fan may just be dirty but if it is also failing then it is cheaper to replace.
The cpu fan and heatsink may be one unit so it would have to be bought together. If you could get pictures of the cpu fan I could probably be a little more specific.

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks a lot that was very helpful.Since i assembled it myself it doesn't have any warranty as a whole but Cpu has a warranty period yet to expire though i cannot say the same for the PSU which is past the warranty period.I have amd processor