Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

jump drive turns off computer

• Please log in to reply

stipower

stipower

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi guys everytime i stick in my jump drive into this one usb slot on my computer the computer automatically turns off. Sticking it into one of the other usb slots is fine just the one slot. No clue whats wrong? computer is new using windows 7.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How new is new and has it done this always?

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i bought it on boxing day and yes its always turning off

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so you either have a bad jump drive or the computer is faulty. Eother way it should be covered under warranty and you really should have the company fix it as that. You never know what else could be wrong or go wrong later.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
okay, hopefully bestbuy will still allow me to return it since i bought it on boxing day.

thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Return is one issue but a warranty repair on a system that new should not be a problem.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I had one like this a couple months ago that drove me crazy. I was never able to figure out the problem and ended up telling the guy to use the other USB ports. :)

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 18 January 2010 - 08:40 AM.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Return is one issue but a warranty repair on a system that new should not be a problem.

If i send it back to the manufacturer (acer) for repair should i delete everything on the hard drive like documents, pictures, bank info e.t.c? or should i leave it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again isn't boxing day this month?
If so wouldn't taking it back to the store you bought it from so they can do the repair would make more sense.
To answer your question yes they would not and will not guarantee against data loss. That will be your responsibility to backup and data you don't want to lose.
If you have cdrw's you can backup your data to them.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Again isn't boxing day this month?
If so wouldn't taking it back to the store you bought it from so they can do the repair would make more sense.
To answer your question yes they would not and will not guarantee against data loss. That will be your responsibility to backup and data you don't want to lose.
If you have cdrw's you can backup your data to them.

Im in canada! boxing day is dec 26!
okay ill put everything in an external harddrive and go to best buy today or tomorrow. Thanks for everything rshaffer!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Best buy should be able to repair it there since it is less then 30 days old.
Backing up is the best resolution to ensure your data is safe.
Please let us know what they discover and what they do.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
okay i went to bestbuy and i am unable to repair or return because its past 14 days...so i have to deal with acer directly.

Thank you for all your help shaffer i appreciate it!

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hiya,

Sounds like a bent pin in the usb port. Perhaps shunting to ground causing the overload circuit to kick in??

Just my two lincolns

G

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a possibility with the bent pins. The problem is since the laptop is only a month old it should be warranty repaired to make sure no future problems will arise.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
True rshaffer... To the OP Best Buy's policy says that a laptop cannot be returned after 14 days...no where in there policy that is published does it say anything about repair. However it sounds like a manufacture defect so the point is moot.

G