Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Empire Total War

• Please log in to reply

Ghost9420

Ghost9420

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I play Empire total war Online. If i try to join someones game I get an error message "could not connect to host"
I am able to host games, but I really want to be able to join my friends games.

Thank you ahead of time

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey Ghost9420. :)

Do you use a firewall (ie. Windows or other)? Perhaps it is blocking the game. Check that the game is on your firewall's exclusion list.

Is your game set up with the correct internet settings?

Ghost9420

Ghost9420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I use windows firewall, but i tried playing with it off and it made no difference.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Ok.

Are your internet settings within the game correctly set?

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hi again.

I've had a quick look at the game on the net and it seems to be a common issue.

If you check out the below link you will see many others are having the same problem and it does not appear to have been resolved.

http://shoguntotalwa...ct-to-host.html

It seems that multiplayer games online are not given a great deal of support by the producers of Empire Total War and therefore most users who attempt to play online receive errors, like yours. I suggest perhaps contacting the producers and if you don't get a response then you could perhaps contact your store and ask for a refund or similar.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. :)

Ghost9420

Ghost9420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, well I will look at the link and thanks for trying.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
You are very welcome. :)

Ghost9420

Ghost9420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok so I have been able to figure out this much, so far.

1.) Only through using DMZ i am able to host games, where people can join. If I trun DMZ off, they get the same message as I do. So I think i need to open ports up, because I have heard its not good to have DMZ set for a computer. I just don't know which ports i need to open.

2.)Because of what i figured in part 1., i think for me to be able to join games, i need to join people who have the correct ports opend.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

ok so I have been able to figure out this much, so far.

1.) Only through using DMZ i am able to host games, where people can join. If I trun DMZ off, they get the same message as I do. So I think i need to open ports up, because I have heard its not good to have DMZ set for a computer. I just don't know which ports i need to open.

2.)Because of what i figured in part 1., i think for me to be able to join games, i need to join people who have the correct ports opend.

Yeah, from what I have seen in the topics on the forums for Empire Total War, you and anyone you want to play with have to have the exact same ports open. It may be just a case of choosing 2 ports and making sure the people you play with have the same ports open.

Let me know if you need any further help. :)