Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Desi54

Desi54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was on my pc when a security tool starting scanning my system. Was no way to stop this, delete it..NOTHING..microsoft said it is a VIRUS. I shut down, when i re-started. it boots up to the emachines logo then blank. Wont boot from safe mode either. Windows came pre-installed, i dont have a CD. Is there a site i can download "something"..anything to boot my windows XP? thnks

Advertisements

Desi54

Desi54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SOME HELP HERE PLEASE!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
UH patience as we are all busy and it has only been less then 7 hours since you started your topic.

Give this a try. Without knowing a little more about what caused the problem, I can't guarantee it will work...and it requires the machine you make the disk on AND the machine you are fixing are both running XP.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
* Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Thanks to wannabe1

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 January 2010 - 02:35 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Duplicated post

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 January 2010 - 02:35 AM.

Desi54

Desi54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i downloaded the programs you said..when i went to open them..it says it needs to know with what file to open.. i dont know, im so confused now..been trying to figure this out for over a week. giving me high blood pressure.
i was looking thu the forums and saw a post # 3,817 from Motto-Just get-er-done. could i use an old mircosoft windows cd to get my pc booted back up? then upgrade to windowsxp? or should i just put things aside untill im able to get a windows xp cd? which i have one coming, a friend in canada has mailed one.
thanks very much for your help..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What programs are saying this.
As long as the XP cd is the same type as what you have on your system. Home, Media Center or Pro

Desi54

Desi54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Great!..I'll let you know how it goes..thanks for all your help.. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 4 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.