Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible virus, computer runs slow

• Please log in to reply

jojobo36

jojobo36

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi, I have a problem with one of my computers. It takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to boot up, my start up button is gone along with the bar at the bottom of the screen. So I am unable to open the start up menu. Some icons on the desktop will open, some will not. I am unable to do much of anything. Is there anything you can give me to install on a cd and put on the infected computer so I can give you a log of some kind to see if you can detect or notice a problem? The computer is Windows XP Home edition.

Thank you,
despratley need your help
Jojobo36

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
You might try Safe Mode with networking:

Reboot and when it beeps or you see the PC maker's icon, start hitting the F8 key slowly. Keep hitting it until you see the Safe Mode Menu and try Safe Mode with Networking.

Otherwise Kaspersky's rescue disk is handy. You can boot off it and scan your system.

http://www.askvg.com...ure-and-others/

Finally you can also get PC Regedit
from the link on the lower half of this page:
http://www.raymond.c...ing-in-windows/

The page explains how to use it to fix a no logon condition. In your case the problem is probably also in winlogon but if userinit looks normal then check the value of shell which should be explorer.exe.

Ron

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I did the reboot in Safe mode with Networking. It did reboot but was unable to see anything on the screen.
I did manage to get the Kaspersky's rescue disk but wasn't sure how to boot the computer using a disc.
The PC Regedit would not install- error message "Internet explorer cannot download PCRegedit.ISO form www.pcdisktools.com. Content decoding has failed PCRegedit.

I ended up going back in the Safe mode with Networking screen, There was a link in there to run windows rescue.. I did run that and everything appeared to work. The start menu and the bar was back, I could get back on the internet, everything was working. However, once I shut the system down and rebooted it, It would go back to not working again. So I would repeat the steps.. F8, safe mode w/ networking, windows rescue.. Everything would work again.
With that being said, I can't shut the computer down, If I do It will not boot up correctly.

The infected computer is a laptop. The screen is bad on it so I have my desk top monitor hooked up to it. When I booted the computer up, and it actually worked I decided to check out why windows media player wouldn't play video on the desktop monitor but played on the laptop. I went into properties on the desktop, went into the display settings, clicked on the Monitor 2 and checked the expand to 2nd monitor, hit apply. That was not what I wanted. So I unchecked the box, hit apply and now the external monitor will not work when booting up the laptop.

How can I get my computer to boot up without doing a recovery on it everytime? And how can I get that monitor to work again and why can't you see video on the external screen but you can on the internal screen.

Please advise,
And thank you for your time
Jojobo36 :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Now that you have it running see if you can run OTL and MBAM as explained in the top post in the Malware Removal forum and post the logs.

Ron

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Ron,
I want to apologize for the long delay. We went on a weeks vacation.
You can close this topic I am no longer having problems with my laptop.
The computer wouldn't boot up at all, had to put the windows boot disk in and ended up having to re-install windows. Everything has been working great ever since. Thank you so much for your time and patience. :)