Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

record only audio from digital video

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Never done it before so I'm baffled.

Have Mac PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.11
Needed to record audio, grabbed Flip.
How do I record/save only the audio portion then how do I save it in a file that could also be listened to on a PC?

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey bamakodaker. :)

There are a couple of ways it can be done.

One is to use Garageband, which I believe lets you strip audio from video. If that isn't the case or you don't have the software, don't worry.

Another way is to upload your video to iTunes and then convert it to an mp3. Depending on compatibility this may or may not work.

Finally, if you have iMovie you can do it through that. iMovie lets you split video clips into the video and sound, which would allow you to strip the audio, save it as a sound file and then convert in iTunes. It is a third party software though and may cost money.

Unfortunately I don't know any ways at the moment. Perhaps others on G2G may have some more ideas if the above don't work. :)

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hmmm,
Guess I'm caught by that 'need full disclosure' thing!
Does it make any difference it's an MPEG4 movie file?
bamakodaker

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
As far as I know you can drag MPEG4 files into iTunes. If that is the case, then try converting it to an mp3. This will give you an audio file.

If it doesn't let you then iMovie is one program which definitely do it for you.