Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP crash, hal.dll, ipnat.sys

• Please log in to reply

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi! i'm new on this forum!

ok since 2010, i got 3 BSODs, one on Jan.2, one on Jan.17, and the other one just a few hours ago (Jan.18).

I noticed a lot of peoples here uses BlueScreenView to check out minidumps, so here are my 3 latest minidumps:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini011810-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2010-01-18 01:21:32
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000007
Parameter 2 : 0x00000cd4
Parameter 3 : 0x000000b4
Parameter 4 : 0x8a46072c
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+2700
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini011810-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Dump File : Mini011710-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2010-01-17 07:47:55
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x100000d1
Parameter 1 : 0xffff0000
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000008
Parameter 4 : 0xffff0000
Caused By Driver : ipnat.sys
Caused By Address : ipnat.sys+17d4
File Description : IP Network Address Translator
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini011710-01.dmp

Dump File : Mini010210-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2010-01-02 06:23:45
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000007
Parameter 2 : 0x00000cd4
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x886c2cf8
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+2700
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini010210-01.dmp

Previously, i was using uTorrent v2.1 alpha with Peerblock on 2 computers, but then after seeing it crashed my 2nd computer so often, i rolled back to stable uTorrent release v1.8.5.

But now my main computer is crashing, and i'm not even running Peerblock in background, only downloading with uTorrent v1.8.5

It seem like crashes never happen while uTorrent is not running...

I have latest patches installed, i also scanned my computer with Spybot, and i have SpywareBlaster up to date, and sometimes scans using Malwarebyte Anti-Malware. My antivirus is Avira Antivir Personnal, always up to date.

So i hope someone could help me find a way to fix the problem.

Edited by RaptorZX3, 18 January 2010 - 04:48 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Although using P2P programs like UTorrent are not illegal, the files downloaded could contain potential infections. By continuing to use these programs will put you at a higher risk for infection. If you continue to use these programs GTG may not be able to provide assistance in the future.
Do you have your XP installation disk or do you have a Manufacturer Recovery Disk?
You are missing critical XP System files and the OS needs to be repaired.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i'm still able to use Windows XP normally, normal boot and everything.

Before i got these 2 latest crashes (Jan.17 and 18), i remember powering down my DSL modem and router a few times, trying to pass thru the speed throttling during rush hours (here, Bell Canada throttles all torrents from 7pm to 2am to 30kbps in downloads), and then my connection in Windows was only shown as "connected", when i usually have the "connected, behind a firewall" info. This is pretty much the only thing i did hardware-wise before getting those BSODs.

So right now what i did is power down the modem and router again, waiting a bit and plugging them again, and now it does show the "connected, behind a firewall" info.

ok for the file "hal.dll", here are where i can find it:

C:\Windows\System32 (with a file size of 129kb)
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 (with a file size of 103kb)

and here is where i can find "ipnat.sys":

C:\Windows\System32\drivers (with a file size of 150kb)
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 (with a file size of 150kb)

But does repairing the OS will erase Windows registry or something?

I do have the Windows XP SP2 CD. and what are the steps to repair XP?

Do corrupted memory can cause these kinds of BSODs?

Edited by RaptorZX3, 18 January 2010 - 09:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, but can this kind of BSODs can be caused by corrupted RAM?

as i said previously, my 2 files seem to be at their places, not erased, and i can boot up Windows XP normally.

Edited by RaptorZX3, 18 January 2010 - 10:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The files are there yes but they may be corrupted.
The only way to repair them is with a repair installation. There is no use trying to do that till the memory has been replaced because it will most likely happen again.
In the event a Repair installation does not work then we would have to do a Parallel Installation which would install a second XP on the same drive and then you wold have to move the document folder over and them most likely have to reinstall the majority of your programs.
The last resort is a format and install after backing up your data files.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
is there a software, somewhere, that scans Windows files integrity to detect possible corrupted files?

Would it be better for me to post the actual minidumps files in a ZIP here?(posted on a host of course, like Megaupload or Uploading.com )

i just want to avoid repairing and redownloading all patches, and what if it wasn't corrupted files? maybe the BSODs are caused by a software, for example PeerBlock or uTorrent. I'm thinking about trying a different torrent software just to see if it was uTorrent's fault.

Strangely, this never happened to me during the day, always during the night/morning (not all night/morning though), and always when uTorrent is running/downloading...

Here's a whole story that might maybe clarify something:

Previously, i had 2 x 1gb one was Advance Module-brand (no-name?), and 1 was Kingston-brand (2007). My computer was running fine with those 2 in dual-channel.

Then lately i bought a 1gb Kingston-brand on NCIX, same kind as my 2007-made one, but newly-made (2009). I bought this 1gb RAM for my 2nd computer, which only had a 512mb Kingston-brand RAM in it. But then with the 1gb Kingston RAM in it, it wasn't booting at all (long beep saying RAM problem). So i decided to try the Advance Module RAM in my 2nd computer and it worked, so i've been using those 2 x 1gb Kingston RAM in my main computer.

After that, i had some regular crashes in a game called Entropia Universe since the new version using CryEngine 2.0, this version of that game is/was full of bugs and issues with Nvidia drivers (Minidumps shows the cause as the Nvidia driver).

I also garantee that the 2 latest BSODs were done with the 2 x 1gb Kingston-brand RAMs, i never had problems like that with the Kingston-brand and Advance Module-brand ones.

Later i bought a 1gb Crucial-brand RAM from Ebay from someone nearby (when i say nearby, i mean i could go in that town by car very easily, really not far away), since i wanted to add memory to my now 1.5gb RAM 2nd computer, and Crucial website says this RAM stick is compatible with my 2nd computer (which have a Foxconn 915M07-G-8EKRS motherboard).

I got the RAM yesterday, tried it in my 2nd computer but it does the long beep RAM problem...so then i decided to use that Crucial RAM in my main computer replacing the 2009-made Kingston-brand 1gb RAM stick, and putting back the Advance Module-brand 1gb in the 2nd computer.

On a slightly different topic, yes...this Foxconn motherboard seem to be extremely capricious with RAM sticks...it accepted the 512mb Kingston RAM while it rejected the 1gb Crucial and Kingston RAMs...but accepted a strange-brand 1gb RAM...

Right now i have the 2009-made Kingston-brand RAM unused, in its RAM plastic case, and my main computer using 2 x 1gb still (1 x Crucial, 1 x Kingston made in 2007)

So if the BSODs was just a corrupted memory problem...it probably won't do it again (or a lot less often...), if it's software-related, i'll most probably try another torrent software...

Edited by RaptorZX3, 19 January 2010 - 12:44 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i just want to avoid repairing and redownloading all patches, and what if it wasn't corrupted files? maybe the BSODs are caused by a software, for example PeerBlock or uTorrent. I'm thinking about trying a different torrent software just to see if it was uTorrent's fault.

Strangely, this never happened to me during the day, always during the night/morning (not all night/morning though), and always when uTorrent is running/downloading...

Although using P2P programs like Utorrent are not illegal, the files downloaded could contain potential infections. By continuing to use these programs will put you at a higher risk for infection. If you continue to use these programs GTG may not be able to provide assistance in the future.

Let's just get the memory tested and see if that is the problem.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
what i want to know is do you believe these BSODs could have been caused by a 3rd-party software like uTorrent?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

what i want to know is do you believe these BSODs could have been caused by a 3rd-party software like uTorrent?

100% yes.. P2P is notorious for having files that are infected.
Now I don't know if you do actually have a active infection or some piece of hardware is causing the issue. We here at GTG just do not support anything with P2P except for the complete removal of the program.

Advertisements

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
generally i don't download softwares in torrents, only pictures and videos, and as far as i know, JPEGs, GIFs, AVIs, MKVs and other picture and video formats can't really contain virus...

now, when i said uTorrent i mean the software itself, not the files being downloaded.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The software itself no.
Any results on the memtest?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Double post

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 January 2010 - 06:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The software itself no.
Any results on the memtest?
We can also try the following and see if this fixs the issue...

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i did a memtest when i had those 2 x 1gb Kingston RAM sticks, on Dec.26 i think, i've let it go for hours, found nothing, but the tests wasn't done i think.

So when i received this Crucial RAM stick, i thought about switching RAM stick with the Kingston one made in 2009.

As i told you, those BSODs seem to happen only when i use uTorrent, and only during the night/morning between 1am and 8am.

Since the last BSOD reported, it didn't crashed yet