Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem at login screen xp

• Please log in to reply

el_jack

el_jack

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Does anyone know how to correct an issue on the welcome screen in xp?

Laptop had viruses. They have been removed. The problem now is that on the welcome login screen there are no user names. I did chdsk /r and used the disk. This still did not fix the issue. when in safe mode the login screen shows user name.

The welcome screen is light blue. It is not like how xp login looks. In safe mode it appears normal

How do I fix this?

Edited by el_jack, 18 January 2010 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
try clicking ctl-alt-del and see if you get a logon box. the other thing you could try is use your windows cd and when it loads try sfc to see if you have any errors on your drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Laptop had viruses. They have been removed.

How were they removed?

The welcome screen is light blue. It is not like how xp login looks

Can you take a picture and reply with it so we can see what you are seeing?

Nyy8

Nyy8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Could they have deleted the accounts? Also if you hit CRTL+ALT+Delete you can go into the admin account. There is no password for the admin

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I ran malewarebytes. The laptop works fine. There is only one user acct with no passwordword so no name appears and it logs in automatically. I added another acct set a password then restarted. Both user names appear on the login screen. I used pc tools reg mechanic on registry,everything is fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I used pc tools reg mechanic on registry,everything is fine.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Are you saying now system is working correctly? Infections can hide or disguise themselves and deeper scans may be needed.
You may still have a active infection and I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

el_jack

el_jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
First I ran root repeal then malwarebytes twice. installed Antivirus. I will remove the pc tool program I didn't know it was real risky.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's the registry cleaner part that is risky. Most of these type programs are dangerous as they can make your registry completely useless. That is why we do not advise users to use them.