Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In Security: why is C++ preferred over Java?

• Please log in to reply

bryan84

bryan84

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Greetings!

My question is: Why is security application development for Biometrics/Tracking/Detection applications normally make use of C++ programming language but not Java?

I would appreciate if you can give me details or maybe even give me good sites for me to reference from to learn.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

lemma

lemma

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hi i'm not sure if any is better then the other in your stated case but you might want to check this 1997 critical comparison document:
http://www.objectmen...les/javacpp.pdf

while an expert prefers Java over C++ and says:

Unlike C++, Java is designed to provide several inherent security features from ground-up and at all levels from the Java language constructs to the Java runtime environment and from the class libraries to the complete application.

With the above core security features at the programming language level, Java promises a secure programming environment advantage over using C++.

The language allows declaring classes or methods as final. Any classes or methods that are declared as final cannot be overridden. This helps to protect the code from malicious attacks such as creating a subclass and substituting it for the original class and override methods.

you can check the full article here:
http://searchsoftwar...1284696,00.html

for more related information, you might be interested in this:
http://forums.sun.co...hreadID=5423247

Father0fNine

Father0fNine

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
The biggest reason C++ is preferred over Java could be tradition.

C/C++ was designed for system programming. It was meant to break free from some of the ridgedness of other languages and give the programmer more access to the guts of the system. Produce highly specialized and compact programs. C/C++ programs are loaded directly into the computers run-time space and interact with the CPU/BIOS/Etc directly.

Java was designed to be easy to learn and portable. Write it once and use it "everywhere" sort of mentality. This often leads larger programs, especially when you take into account that Java has to have an interpreter in between the application and the CPU/BIOS/Etc. The presence of the Java Virtual Machine can affect performance, although recent benchmarks show the gap is closing in many situations.

Ande_1

Ande_1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I program in both. C++ has been around much longer than Java.
C++ has more available libraries and faster functions than Java.
If a program depends on either numeric accuracy and/or speed of execution, C++ is a must.
Otherwise Java might be better as nore users seem to be learning it these days.

Techies use C and C++ when necessary. For pure speed use C++, but write most code in C.