Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Master Hard Disk error help

• Please log in to reply

acute18

acute18

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok have a fujitsu siemens Amilo Pro laptop my daughter said she pressed f1 at some point and the pc stopped working.

ok so tried rebooting via hard drive ect as the primary master hard disk came up, tried f8 to start safe mode but came up with reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key, i have checked and the selected boot is the hardrive, i have tried agent ect and would not work. i do not have the original disk, but there really is not alot on this pc so if i lose data its not a problem. windows xp running.

is there a way of going back to a restore point ect.??

regards claire :)

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi acute18, See if this will work for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Dwight

acute18

acute18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks dwight but when i get to press the f8 it says: on black screen

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key.

so unable to get to this or even to windows starting up.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi,

What is the exact error that is showing up on screen? Is the error before or after windows starts to load?? If it is before then the boot options in bios may have changed and if it is after loading has begun perhaps the MBR has become corrupted. Please advise?

Thanks,
G

acute18

acute18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
HI G

i turn on and fujitsu siemens window comes up windows does not start then goes to black screen with details listed below, i can access the boot menu and have tried all of then at the moment its set to open up via harddrive.

for realtek rtl8139(x) /8130/810x pci fast ethernet controller v2.13

PXE E61: media test failure, check cable
PXE M0F: exiting PXE ROM

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key,

when i enter f2 to bios set up at check its set to open with hard drive and press f10 to save and exit it then takes me to fugitsu/siemens logo page then onto a black screen with a beep primary master hard disk error press f2 to resume, when i press this goes back to bios set up.

claire

Edited by acute18, 18 January 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The fact that you mention pushing F1 during bootup is what leads me to believe bios options may have been messed up. Have you messed around with bios settings before? Try tapping delete as soon as you turn it on and it should take you to bios settings. If you have not messed in there before you should be fine with selecting the reset to default settings options.

Tell me what that comes up with. Since it is before windows loads with a media error it could be a bios setting or a hardware problem itself.

G

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try going into BIOS and checking your boot sequence to see if it is trying to boot from a network and a floppy. If so disable both. Save and exit.
Same problem?

acute18

acute18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
this is how it is a moment

1st boot device hard drive
2nd cd/dvd
3rd removable device
4th realtek boot agent.

do the others need to be diabled then eg 3-4? as there enabled

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
No that will work.

Look on the first option or the main page depending on which bios it is using and see what it has list for being connected to IDE1 or IDE Master or IDE Primary it should be one of those three.

G

acute18

acute18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi went into bios boot menu selected default (f9) from the f1 box checked with f10 to confirm went to logo page then again back to primary master hard drive disk error press f2 to resume.

claire

Advertisements

acute18

acute18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
after i have done the defult settings its changed the settings on the boot menu to
removable as a 1st boot., cd/dvd then hard drive the realtek,

ok i entered the ide config this is what it says

primary ide master : not detected

sedcondary ide master: atapi cdrom.

please note have left the boot on removable until it needs to be cahnged ok.

claire

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
there should be an option to detect for each one hit it for the primary and see what it says

G

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

4th realtek boot agent.

Network boot maybe?

acute18

acute18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok enter on the primary master and it came up device: not detected, so esc went into secondary and f10 to save went to logo again and back to error so went back into ide config it said

and this had chaneged to primary ide master (hard disk) now do i enter this or not.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
what did it say?