Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

App Probs/Driver Updates?

• Please log in to reply

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I wasn't sure where to post this, but the problems I'm having relate to applications. Recently, I upgraded to windows 7. I also recently had a hard drive crash on me and returned it for a new one without recovering the data. I just reinstalled what I could remember onto this new one. Everything SEEMS to be in working order except when I try to play a few games. For example, GTA4 and The Witcher in Steam appear to install, but fail to launch. STALKER Clear Sky gives me a "application must be run as an admin." error when my account is an admin. I also tried running all of those programs in compatibility mode and checked the "run as admin." box. Nothing worked though. The only thing thing I can really think of is that I would have some outdated drivers. I really have very little knowledge on computers, however, and wanted to ask if this could be a possibility. If so, what free programs could I use to detect these drivers? I bought my motherboard ?OEM?, which I think is when it doesn't come with everything you would get if bought new. Anyway, I don't have the CD that would have normally came with it, so I have no idea what drivers/chipsets/whatever would need to be installed with that. I ran Windows Update, and it came up with no important updates. If it helps, my specs are as follows:

Mobo: ASUS P5Q-E
Processor: Intel Q9550
GPU: Radeon 4870x2
Direct X version: 11
Ram: OCZ 4 gigs

If you need any additional information, just ask! THANKS!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try going HERE straight from Asus.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 January 2010 - 02:03 PM.

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
That link gives me an error.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try HERE and you will have to do this the hard way.
Click on your country, Then you will have to go to Downloads and put in your Motherboard Model Number
Then follow the links to the page with all the drivers for your motherboard.

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, great. Thank you! Do you think this will be a possible solution then?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully updating to the newest drivers will straighten everything out.
Especially the video driver. If it doesn't we may have to look at the actual video chipset and see if we can get it directly from the manufacturer.

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry, one more quick question. Should I download the newest version for ALL of those categories? (BIOS, AUDIO, CHIPSET, ect.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Work on the Video first since that is the issue. You can always go back after the other later.

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't see a video category, so I'm assuming you mean update my video card's driver for right now and worry about the mobo's drivers later?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be called Graphics
Yes on your question.

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I updated my video driver and tried playing Clear Sky. I got the same error message, but it also said something about "Tages" (I think) causing an issue. I looked into it and updated the driver for that too. I tried Clear Sky again and it worked. I have not tried the others yet, but that could have been my problem? If it is, how important are the mobo drivers?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well the other drivers are for you to have. If you don't have a drivers disk then I would suggest getting everything and burning them to a disk so you have them from now on.
That is good news about the game working and please let me know how the other games work.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 January 2010 - 07:01 PM.

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Everything appears to be working normally. Thank you for your assistance!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and I am glad I could assist you. Thank you for your patience and for choosing GeekToGo for help. Please come back and enjoy the other forums and the wealth of knowledge included in them.