Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 7 reboot loop

• Please log in to reply

anbesol

anbesol

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Running into a strange and very frustrating issue with the windows 7 install. I've installed windows 7 just fine on 5 computers, but another 2 computers are having the reboot loop problem. Also, on the startup of windows 7 setup, the setup takes a lot more time than it did on any other PC. It does very slowly progress through the setup, but once it reboots to the HDD, on startup windows says that there is an error and must reboot to reinstall.

The only thing the two computers have in common is the motherboard, an Asus M2A-VM. I tried updating BIOS and to no avail, I also tried a flash drive install and the same problem occurred. My thought is that it would have to be the board, it seems the obvious answer. Yet, when I checked Asus site for support for the board, there was no mention of such a problem.

I ran memtest, memory is good, I ran Ubuntu to see if it would load, and it loads and works fine. I also tried using windows setup recovery to fix the HDD, and it had no effect either. I even read somewhere to switch from DVI output to VGA, and still no difference. I can't figure this out. Please help! Thanks!

*edit - specs of the two computers are Asus M2A-VM/Sempron LE-1100/2GB Memory, and Asus M2A-VM HDMI/Athlon x2 4000+/2GB Memory. I did also try running them on one dimm, and that too was fruitless. The other machines I installed 7 on all had older mobo/cpus (939 Athlon X2 and a slew of Pentium 4's)

Edited by anbesol, 18 January 2010 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

lex87

lex87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Reboot loop......this may be of some use to you:

http://social.answer...e5-dc128cc5f86c

Hope that helps!