Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ordering Dell OEM Windows XP Disc

• Please log in to reply

tallen0

tallen0

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm ordering a Windows XP install disc from Amazon because I was given a computer without the disc. I've found a couple discs but some are listed as regular Windows XP Pro and others are listed as Windows XP Pro SP1/2/3.

Does it matter which disc I purchase (as long as it's Windows XP Pro)? Do I have to purchase the exact Dell derivative that came with the computer or will any Dell XP Pro do?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should buy the one from dell...it has ALL the drivers you need and it will be a lot cheaper...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

you should buy the one from dell...it has ALL the drivers you need and it will be a lot cheaper...

Dell generally supply two disks: The operating system one and the drivers one. The former tends to be tied to the machine and since Dell have redesigned the BIOSes at least three times over the last few years, it's plausible the disks get tied to specific models or range of models so one cannot guarantee a Dell disk will work on all Dell machines.

Normally you can use any OEM CD with the licence on the side of the case providing it's for that copy of Windows. A Pro licence won't work on a Home disk and vice-versa.
Also you'd need to activate these, online or by telephone. This isn't a problem.

The drivers are always available from Dell's website.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes... but one of the (DELL) disks restores the computer just like it was the day itleft the manufacture...that was with the OS and all the drivers already installed...thats the easiest way...and it will run about $30.00 versus about $100.00 buying a new OS cd...and then having to install all the drivers...

Edited by happyrock, 19 January 2010 - 07:30 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

yes... but one of the (DELL) disks restores the computer just like it was the day itleft the manufacture...that was with the OS and all the drivers already installed...thats the easiest way...and it will run about $30.00 versus about $100.00 buying a new OS cd...and then having to install all the drivers...

I appreciate the input but with all due respect quite a lot of Dell machines made in the last five or six years (or even older) all have recovery partitions on them. The CD is for repair installations as they keep the VLK and activation intact, which you'll lose on a generic disk.
No Dell disk I've ever seen has the ability to restore the drive complete with recovery partition and drivers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I appreciate the input but with all due respect quite a lot of Dell machines made in the last five or six years (or even older) all have recovery partitions on them

yep...but with all due respect, I have found that lots of people have deleted or tried to save data to that recovery partition making it useless...the most recent was about 4 months back and it was still under warranty