Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Catch Someone Stealing Internet?

• Please log in to reply

tallen0

tallen0

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My wireless network is unsecured and I plan on securing it, but I'm pretty sure that someone is connecting to it and using my internet service.

I'm curious if there is any way that I can figure out who is doing this? Is there anyway that I trace it back to that computer?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The moral of the story: Secure your network.
The only way you'll trace it is to go round every house and every room in the neighbourhood. Not worth the effort.
Secure your network and secure it good.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

My wireless network is unsecured and I plan on securing it, but I'm pretty sure that someone is connecting to it and using my internet service.

I'm curious if there is any way that I can figure out who is doing this? Is there anyway that I trace it back to that computer?

Thanks.

Actually there is a way. :)

If you use a hardware firewall, it allows you to trace all incoming and outcoming internet connections.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually if you log into your router's control panel you can check it's DHCP registration and MAC list...if you see a computer name that you don't recognize, then someone's connected to your router

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

actually if you log into your router's control panel you can check it's DHCP registration and MAC list...if you see a computer name that you don't recognize, then someone's connected to your router

Yes but the original question was to trace the address back to a specific computer or person, which is possible if you're happy to knock on a hundred doors or more depending on the wireless range and then hope that somebody admits, yes I stole your internet. Realistically nobody will own up to it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah i overlooked that tidbit....however if his neighbors are anything like mine, he'll be able to tell who's connected by the way they name their computers