Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Notepad

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hopefully I'm on the right Forum.

I had made my sister a Plain Text Resume saved with Line Breaks. It's all formatted nicely on my Notepad Text File. I can copy & paste it into an E-mail and the format is still intact. I can send myself that E-mail with the Plain Text Resume in the E-mail's body and I'll receive it with the format intact.

However, if I send the actual Notepad Text File as an Attachment in an E-mail, when I download and open that Attachment, the format is NOT per se intact. The received version of the Plain Text Resume will now be in this 2-line version. Oh, the Carriage Returns will technically still be there as evidenced by these little squares where a Line Break should be.

Also, if I copy that 2-line version of the Plain Text Resume and paste it into an E-mail, the multi-line correct format version will again display.

My question:
Is there anything, any Setting that I can set so that when I E-mail the Notepad Text File as an Attachment, the Notepad Text File received on the other end will display with all the Line Breaks intact ... instead of opening up as a 2-line version of the Resume?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Notepad isn't designed for this and personally I wouldn't use it for a Resume/CV either as it has no formatting abilities, no capability to look pretty and it's only primary original aim was to read basic README documents that came with software and create said documents for onscreen reading.

You will be much better off creating a Resume/CV in something like Microsoft Word or Write, which is part of OpenOffice. This would also solve the problem you have with line breaks because Word/Openoffice does it so much better (plus your sister's Resume/CV would look much better in Times New Roman than a typerwiter type typeface). Notepad has always had intermittent issues with line breaks when files are transferred from computer to computer.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks for the reply, :) Neil!

Oh, trust me, I did also make my sister a professional-looking Microsoft Word version of her Resume. It is definitely more professional-looking than what actual Resume-creating businesses come up with if I do say so myself. :)

If it was up to me, that's all that would be used. But, the reality is that seemingly more than 50% of the places at which people make Online Job Applications ... require a Plain Text Resume. They flat out specify NOT to send MS Word versions or any other similar type Attachments. No doubt it is because of the risk of Viruses.

So, unfortunately, as awesome-looking as a Microsoft Word version of someone's Resume looks, the reality is that the bare bones, watered-down, vanilla Plain Text Resume version is the one that's gonna get more use. With Online Job Applications anyway.

I told my sister she'd be OK as long as she copies her Resume from that 2-line version that she received from me and pastes it into an E-mail and sends it in the BODY of the E-mail. Or pastes it in the appropriate Box in Online Job Applications. Just DON'T send it as a Notepad Attachment because then the prospective employer would open up the ridiculous 2-line version. Doh! :)

Thanks again, Neil! :)