Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Am I missing something here?

• Please log in to reply

thektotheg

thektotheg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. I'm new here. I thought I would give this a try.

The issue is shortly after booting and logging into windows xp, my system freezes. The mouse still works, but it is unresponsive. Also, it makes a good bit of noise throughout the process and up until it freezes. Its always a matter of minutes before it happens. So far the problem hasn't occured in safe mode.

I've done the following:

Multiple virus, ad/spy/malware scans.
Memory diagnostic utility.
Registry scanned/cleaned.
Disc defragged.
Hard drive diagnostic.

All of the above come back clean. I recently installed a gig of ram, though that was about 2 weeks ago, and everything was running fine until yesterday. I removed the new hardware and booted without it just to be sure it wasnt damaged. Computer still froze, even without the new ram.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I really dont know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

-kg

p.s. The PC is an HP Pavilion a350n. If anyone can help, I'd be glad to provide any other information necessary. I must admit, though - I would need you to describe what to do.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you booted into Safe mode to see if the issue happens there?
If not it may be a Drivers, Services or Startup problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi thektotheg ... :) ..:)

have you tried system restore yet...
did you add any hardware or software recently...
any software or windows updates...
does it crash when you boot into safe mode with networking and run it that way...
look in the device manager ...got any yellow ! or ? or red X's

Edited by happyrock, 19 January 2010 - 07:45 AM.

Nyy8

Nyy8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Did you make sure you have all the updates? How long is the PC? Could the CPU be damaged?

thektotheg

thektotheg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry it took me awhile to respond. At any rate, I had installed new RAM, so I tried removing that - its still out - but nothing changed... Computer still freezes. It freezes in safe mode, as well, but seems to operate better until it does, so thats what Im in now. Device manager showed nothing wrong. All virus/ad,mal,spyware scans came back clean. Defragged. Cleaned up registry errors. Nothing seems to work. I dont know what to do. Im beginning to think it cant be salvaged. Its killing me. Definitely cant afford a new computer right now. Any ideas?

Thanks for all that have tried to help thus far.

-kg

thektotheg

thektotheg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All new updates have been installed. System restore didnt do the trick when I tried it, either.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions