Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot up hangs at welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I just went and bought Windows 7, my XP install was totally messed up.

I'm having really messed up issues ALREADY! I start loading 7 in and it appears to hang on a blue wallpaper thing during the install, which I later find out might be normal, so I restart and turned off USB functions in the BIOS because someone said it worked for them but now I can't get into the BIOS and I only get a message saying bootmgr is missing, ctrl alt delete to restart but I can't...I tried formatting my OS drive through my wife's laptop twice but no luck.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you set the boot sequence so the cdrom is the first boot device?
If so then please take the battery out of the motherboard for 5 minutes and then reset it. This should set the bios back to default settings. Let me know if you can get into bios then. Below is the cmos battery I am referencing.

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'm certain the DVD drive was the first device I had, as it always wanted to boot from the CD. I'm resetting the battery as I type this, and will put it back in soon.

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
It didn't work. I still see "No keyboard detected!" while the boot sequence starts up. I'm trying again though. It has to reset somehow, right? This is nuts.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure the keyboard is connected and it didn't come loose?
How about a different keyboard to try?

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 January 2010 - 05:54 PM.

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay, I used my old keyboard, it works and I re-enabled USB. I still get the BOOTMGR error and I can restart it through ctrl alt delete now but I'm just stuck in this loop.

It says PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD...

Then a few seconds later I get the BOOTMGR error. Pressing keys does nothing. I've tried two different optical drives...nothing.

My drive is empty but did I not format it properly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It says PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD...

Do you have the Win 7 cd in the cdrom drive when you boot up?

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay, for some strange reason the XP disc started working so I popped it out and put the 7 disc in. I got the same error as usual so I hit restart and it started working. I confused it hanging with it just taking a long time on certain install screens (used to XP I guess). However now it's looking for device drivers and I have no idea what it wants.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
During setup or are you already in win7?
If during setup this is normal for it to scan it's drivers library for the correct drivers for your hardware.

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
During setup it wants drivers. Somebody said to change my SATA emulation thing to ACHI and not IDE, which I rebooted and changed, I'll see what happens. I'm trying to install the 64 bit version so I don't know if I need anything special or what.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for the update.

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay, final update (I hope!).

I copied my W7 disc to my USB key...I tried making it bootable, but I don't know if it worked and I don't have the option in my BIOS. I went out for a few hours, came home and tried again.

I actually found a DVD driver disc for my burner in a box of old crap I don't use, so I got ready...but my computer never asked for the drivers again, it just skipped over. It went through the first phase, rebooted and it kept wanting to continue this loop (of the first phase) even with the disc out. I realized it was detecting my USB key with the files on (which is maybe why it didn't ask for drivers too) so I pulled it and continued installing.

So far the experience has been fairly painless, just a few kinks I'm sorting out, but I'm very happy with the OS. It doesn't seem to like either IDE optical drive I have here, so I had to put the one back in it's external enclosure to install stuff for now. I now have to buy a new optical drive and more RAM -- I'm currently just the one stick still, and for 1gb, I'm impressed. I also noticed installing programs seems insanely faster too.

Thanks for all the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. Please let us know how it all ends up and as always I will continue to watch this for your response.