Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CoD MP Problem

• Please log in to reply

Synergy6

Synergy6

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
I left CoD for over a year, and last night decided it was time to play. I installed the game, applied the 1.5 patch, and hit "Refresh List". Nothing. So, I opened the ports in my firewall, and tried again. It gave me the list of 3500 or so servers, and I tried to join one.

And here's the problem. It goes to the gametype/picture/loading bar screen. The loading bar goes quickly (<15 secs) to 100%, and the ambient music starts (MG fire in the distance etc). But, then it stops. I can still here the sounds, but the screen doesn't change. Opening the console, the last 3 lines are:

"LOADING.... clients
UI menu load time = 185 milli seconds
CL_InitGame : 14.09 seconds"

Doing a "vid_restart" simply spends 15 seconds getting me to the same spot. Sometimes, after 5-15 minutes, I do actually get into the server, but sometimes not. The annoying thing is when I played CoD before everything worked fine.

Well, let's see what I've tried. I did a full uninstall, reinstall and installed all the patches, ie. 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 in order. I defragmented my hard drive. I ran pbweb.exe. I've opened all CoD ports in my firewall. My IP blocker is turned off, as is my AV. (Only when trying to play of course) I regularly run spyware tests (Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D). My DirectX is up to date, (9.0C) as are my video drivers. This problem has got me kinda stumped :tazz:

My specs are : P4 2.8GHz CPU (800FSB), Ati Radeon 9800, 1024MB PC3200 RAM, 120GB 7200RPM 8mb cache hard drive, Intel i875 motherboard.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Synergy6

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I just looked over the last 5 pages and nothing seemed similar.

Edited by Synergy6, 18 May 2005 - 04:43 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Let me ask you this, did you install all of those patches onto the game, if so go straight to 1.5. Try that and see what happens. I play cod/ uo and i went straight to 1.51 without installing any previous patches. Make shure you get the full 1.5 patch only and start from scratch again/ reinstall the game.

Thats all the advice i have.

Synergy6

Synergy6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Let me ask you this, did you install all of those patches onto the game, if so go straight to 1.5.  Try that and see what happens. 

That's what I did the first time, just installing straight to 1.5. Same problem :tazz:
Synergy6

UPDATE : I've been trying again today. I can get connected within 10 minutes on some servers, others not. Also, the same problem happens when a server changes map, however, it never seems to work out in that situation. I've tried 50 man+ servers and ones with 2 people on them, doesn't seem to make a difference. Everything else on this sytem works fine, it plays HL2 and D3 with no problems, and Battlefield: Vietnam online, so I'm absolutely stumped with CoD ;)

I'm thinking it must be some sort of server contact problem, as when I start my own server (just through the game menu), it loads right to the map within 15secs.

Edited by Synergy6, 18 May 2005 - 12:08 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
use pbweb.exe to update punkbuster (see forum sticky)

Synergy6

Synergy6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I ran pbweb.exe.

In the original post.. But heh, nvm. I kinda solved the problem on my own ;) It seems that my firewall was the problem, I changed to a completely different one and everything is going swimmingly. (Bit rusty after all this time :tazz: )
Synergy6