Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer Conflict

• Please log in to reply

jaymac1500

jaymac1500

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having a problem w/ a Dell Inspiron that I upgraded from Vista to 7. When I try to install or uninstall anything, it stops and tells me that an installation is already in progress and I can't install until the process is finished. I notice that every time I boot up, a window pops up for about 8 secs that is titled "window installer" then says "preparing to install" It then disappears and nothing else happens. There is no indication as to what it is trying to install. It's really ticking me off.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey jeymac1500. :)

It could be a problem with the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, so follow these instructions to resolve it if this is the case:

1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories
2. Right-click the Command Prompt
3. Click Run As Administrator
4. In the User Sccount Control Window, verify the Program Name is Windows Command Processor
5. Click Yes
6. In the Administrator: Command Prompt Window, type the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va
/f

7.Press Enter to install the solution.

8. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run As Administrator in step two.

Let's also make sure you are an Administrator:

1. Go to Start.
2. Type Control UserPasswords2.
3. Click Advanced.
4. Click Advanced again.
5. Select Users.
6. Select Administrator and untick the the box Administrator is disabled
7. Now log out and login as Administrator.

Let me know how it goes. :)

jaymac1500

jaymac1500

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, unfortunately it didn't work. But I think you may be on the right track. I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be related to Dell. I'm exploring the idea that it might be the "Dell Quick Set" utility. I may try to do a restore point first, if that doesn't work I may just completly restore it to Vista and delete the Dell stuff before upgrading. Thanks for the effort.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey jaymac1500.

You're very welcome. :)

Let me know how your efforts go and if you still don't get a solution, we 'll take it from there. :)

jaymac1500

jaymac1500

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, after a very frustrating, hair-pulling adventure I finally got it working. First I tried to do a Dell <F8> restore ( yes it's <F8> on mine not ctrl - <F11>) and I couldn't access it w/ the upgrade. Then I tried the restore disk - 3 times - and it would only go so far and stop dead. Then I thought - let me try to load XP since I have the full version and my PC supported XP. Well it wouldn't recognize a HD. So I was left w/ a $900 doorstop. I had just about given up when I had a serendipitous moment - let me try to re-install Win 7 and do a clean install. Well waddya know, I'll be GD'md, IT WORKED.

The moral of the story is, I should have done a clean install from the beginning. Anyway thanks for the effort. Maybe someone else can read this and bypass all my mistakes.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy jaymac1500. :)

I'm glad we got a solution. :)