Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

how to stop windows from randomly reading and writing to external disk

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i have an external harddrive i use primarily for archiving my music and videos. i use a utility called robocopy because it is faster never fragments unless the drive is nearly full, and doesent die when one minor thing goes wrong. recently i have noticed a performance decrease on the external drive that i am atributing to the drive randomly seeking durring a linnear r/w. appearantly windows or some program is doing somthing to the drive that requires frequent access to some most likley usless information on the drive. how can i figure out what is accessing the drive in realtime so i know what to kill or disable before a coppying a large file. yes i turned off my network card, deactivated my realtime virus scanner, and stopped all active torrents as well as all programs that run off the drive. so right now i am at a loss to explain the activity on the drive. also i have noticed a hidden folder called system volume information. since there is no operating system or boot info on the drive i dont know what this is doing here. and a .DS_Store file but since i share the drive with a ibook and the file is generally harmless i have left it.

NOTE sorrey about the garbled thread name but it got cropped on me

Edited by mikeloeven, 19 January 2010 - 07:51 PM.