Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop error code

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Used the linux cd today. That didn't help at least not the few few tries. After about 6 restarts, all was well. The laptop would boot to either the cd or windows. It seems that the laptop has to "get warmed up" before it knows how to work. I am thinking something is either loose or corroded. I just need to get up the nerve to open it up according to the manual instructions. What should I take note of that would be out of place?

Advertisements

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I ran puppy linux but only after six attempts to boot up. After that it would boot either to the cd or my windows install. Somehow being warmed up affects the laptop's abiltiy to boot correctly. Because it will run for hours after a correct boot up, I believe the VGA is not bad and that the problem is corrosion? or something like that. Would I notice a discoloration on or around the card to tell me there is a problem? I'm not sure what to look for when I finally get up the nerve to open the laptop.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would start with reinstallation of the video driver. Download the driver from the computer manufacturer's site.

If that doesn't help then we'll have to try to isolate the problem by trial and error. Please do the following:

1: Download Everest from my links, install and run it. Click Start > Sensor and report temperatures and voltages that show in the data page.

2: Download Memtest from my links. Unzip the folder and burn the ISO file to a CD. Boot with the CD and let the test run for at least one full pass. There should not be any errors (red lines)

3: We need to identify the hard disk. Please open Everest and clisk Storage > Physical drives. The name of the disk will show at the top and we can deduce the manufacturer's name. Now go to here and download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. If your computer is stable enough download the windows version tool, install it and run a complete test. Alternatively you can download the bootable version, create a bootable CD and then run a complete test.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I had to switch to my desktop computer. In the middle of typing a reply the screen blanked out, then came back. It let me type one more sentence and then froze. ????

Before that, I ran Everest and ID'd the drive. It is a Fujitsu . I downloaded and ran their diagnostic. Although My Computer sees the hard drive as does device manager, Fujitsu reports "No HDD has been identified in your system" and then gives a list of problems.?? I ran Everest for temps CPU was 57 C and HDD was 44 C. I still have to run memtest if the system can be shut down and properly restarted.