Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"USB Device Not Recognized" HELP!

• Please log in to reply

blueyez18

blueyez18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been trying to fix this problem for about a month. I have tried plugging in phones, cameras, HDDs, etc but nothing will work. Whenever I plug one it, a little pop up shows up saying "USB Device Not Recognized". I have tried uninstalling anything that has to do with USB in the Device Manager, rebooting, reinstalling them all, and it still hasn't worked. I also restored my computer to a point just after I bought this computer.... didn't work. Please help!!! I'm using Windows XP and have a Compaq Presario V5000.

Thank you

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey blueyez18. :)

How many USB ports do you have? Do the others work?

Did this USB port ever work?

You have said you already uninstalled but follow the below instructions to do it again. This way I can rule it out in our troubleshooting. :)

1. Go to Start > Run
2. Type sysdm.cpl in the Open box and then click OK
3. Click the Hardware tab
4. Click the Device Manager button
5. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
6. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time
7. Restart the computer and then reinstall the USB controllers.
8. Plug in the removable USB storage device and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

This will ensure that if there are any corrupt drivers they are removed.

I would also recommend checking out this article by Microsoft as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Edited by Robin Hood, 20 January 2010 - 12:46 AM.

blueyez18

blueyez18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Robin Hood,
Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I tried what you said and the USB controllers were reinstalled when I restarted my Comp but they still didn't work :) The same message popped up when I plugged in my external HD.
I know there is nothing wrong with my ExtHD because it is recognized and works on other computers.
I unistalled and reinstalled the service pack 3. That didn't work either. I went to the Microsoft help website and there is nothing there that I haven't tried already.
If you can think of anything else that may be able to fix this issue, I would be so grateful!
Thanks

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
When you restarted and plugged in your External HD, did the Windows message pop up asking for installation? If it does pop up, direct it to browse in C:\I386.

If you have no luck there try this:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > USB Controllers > USB Root Hub
2. Right click Properties
3. Go to Power Management
4. Uncheck the top box and check the lower box
5. Reboot your computer