"USB Device Not Recognized" HELP!
Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:23 AM
Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:40 AM
How many USB ports do you have? Do the others work?
Did this USB port ever work?
You have said you already uninstalled but follow the below instructions to do it again. This way I can rule it out in our troubleshooting.
1. Go to Start > Run
2. Type sysdm.cpl in the Open box and then click OK
3. Click the Hardware tab
4. Click the Device Manager button
5. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
6. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time
7. Restart the computer and then reinstall the USB controllers.
8. Plug in the removable USB storage device and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.
This will ensure that if there are any corrupt drivers they are removed.
I would also recommend checking out this article by Microsoft as well:
Edited by Robin Hood, 20 January 2010 - 12:46 AM.
Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:52 AM
Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I tried what you said and the USB controllers were reinstalled when I restarted my Comp but they still didn't work The same message popped up when I plugged in my external HD.
I know there is nothing wrong with my ExtHD because it is recognized and works on other computers.
I unistalled and reinstalled the service pack 3. That didn't work either. I went to the Microsoft help website and there is nothing there that I haven't tried already.
If you can think of anything else that may be able to fix this issue, I would be so grateful!
Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:01 PM
If you have no luck there try this:
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > USB Controllers > USB Root Hub
2. Right click Properties
3. Go to Power Management
4. Uncheck the top box and check the lower box
5. Reboot your computer
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users