Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora/Nail and c:\windows\prefetch

• Please log in to reply

riverlife

riverlife

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! ;) Boy am I glad I found you! I've been battling the spware/malware genie on my own for a few months, and after a few attacks had kind of clued in to what was going on and had kind of kept it in the bottle.

However, this Aurora/Nail thing is wicked evil! It got around my SpyBot and my Mozilla!

I followed your instructions on your post for newbies, and downloaded and ran CleanUp 4.0, Ewido, and then HijackThis, as per your instructions. While doing so and chasing various pieces of spyware out of my system that I had no idea were even there (! very disquieting!), I found the c:\windows\prefetch\ directory. In it was an aurora*.exe file, even after Ewido had run over my system, rebooted, and been rerun. I went ahead and deleted it, and saw a bunch of files in that directory that looked troublesome.

Anyway, then I downloaded spysubtract and tried to run it, but every time I get this error:

An Unexpected Problem was encountered
Error#: 0x8007007f

Any ideas? Could this be something I caused, unwittingly, by deleting the aurora*.exe file in the ...\prefetch\ directory?

If you need a Hijackthis dump, I'd be happy to give it to you, but I have a feeling perhaps you might be able to answer my questions without that being necessary. Thank you so much!!! You rule!!! :tazz:

Bless you,

Pat

Advertisements