Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

check sum cmos error

• Please log in to reply

sujun

sujun

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok as topic title, i am facing check sum cmos error, everytime i boot up my computer it will show this
Posted Image

how can i solve it?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you changed any bios settings...like overclocking the system or video card...
if this is a tower...unplug from the wall...then remove the bios battery for 5 minutes and then put it back in...
reboot...
nojoy...
Clear The CMOS
It's possible that a dead or dying battery can cause the CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) data to become corrupted. In this case, the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) utility's Load Fail-Safe Defaults or Load Best Performance Settings command should set things back to normal. If that doesn't work or the computer is so befuddled that you can't even get to the BIOS setup utility, your motherboard will have another way to reset the CMOS data using a special jumper or DIP switch setting. Generally you simply move a jumper to a special position, wait a few seconds, and then move it back. Check the motherboard manual to find out the procedure for your system.

if the battery needs to be removed or replaced... good guide is here

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
you will have to go into bios and load default settings and see if that works. How old is the system. YOu may need to get a new batery for the motherboard. Have you put in any new hardware lately.

sujun

sujun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

have you changed any bios settings...like overclocking the system or video card...
if this is a tower...unplug from the wall...then remove the bios battery for 5 minutes and then put it back in...
reboot...
nojoy...
Clear The CMOS
It's possible that a dead or dying battery can cause the CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) data to become corrupted. In this case, the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) utility's Load Fail-Safe Defaults or Load Best Performance Settings command should set things back to normal. If that doesn't work or the computer is so befuddled that you can't even get to the BIOS setup utility, your motherboard will have another way to reset the CMOS data using a special jumper or DIP switch setting. Generally you simply move a jumper to a special position, wait a few seconds, and then move it back. Check the motherboard manual to find out the procedure for your system.

if the battery needs to be removed or replaced... good guide is here

how do i checked whether if i changed the settings. as far as i know, i did not touched any of these settings

sujun

sujun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

you will have to go into bios and load default settings and see if that works. How old is the system. YOu may need to get a new batery for the motherboard. Have you put in any new hardware lately.

this cmos error is there for a long time. how much will new battery cost? and is all the battery the same?

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
usually one of these keys (f1, delete, or f10) will get you into bios. Try loading the defaults.

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
you should be able to pick one up at radio shack fairly cheap only a few dollars.

sujun

sujun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i have load default before, but the next time i boot my computer, the cmos error is still there

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i would try the battery if this is an older system when the battery goes out it will not save the settings and you have to set defaults every time. when you open the case you will seee the battery on the motherboard whith power off you should be able to pull out the battery and take it with you to the store.

sujun

sujun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
so the only solution is to buy a new battery???

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first don't quote what people reply to your thread...it only slows things down..
about replacing the battery...if your flashlight gets dim and stops working what do you do to fix it...

sujun

sujun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well sorry.
and i dun get wat u meant.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a cmos battery and they should cost less then 5.00 USD for one. What everyone is saying is the error is a indication that the battery is low and needs to be replaced. It doesn't guarantee a resolution but it is the most logical reason for this error.

sujun

sujun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
alright then. thank you so much!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know if the error goes away after replacing the battery and if not then return and everyone will continue to help.
Also after replacing the battery you will need to go into the bios and make sure everything is setup correctly like the time and date.