Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not shut down properly it just restarts

• Please log in to reply

Rueben

Rueben

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have compact computer with windows xp running and it just retsarts up when it suppose to shut down. Checked the bios and wake on lan option is not even listed. Tried to up date things there but isnt any updates I supposedly have the current bios on it. Recently upgraded the graphics card and power supply but was told that should not be causing that issue with shut down. Scanned for virus and stuff like that just in case that was the problem and didnt help any. Was wondering if there is anything else I may have overlooked its been bugging me for awhile and I have tried lots of things to try and fix the problem but no luck so far happened to stumble on this place so I thought I give it a try see what happens. Any help would be cool thx.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Rueben ... :) ..:)

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK.
now try shutting down...The error message should remain on the screen so that you can record the error information.
post it back here

Rueben

Rueben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to mention that stuff you suggested was the first thing I tried an all that happens when I do that is a screen comes up saying windows did not shut down properly what would you like to use to start it up again. I have not been able to get an error message unless I am missing it somewhere along the way. Ill keep looking though. If you have some other things I could try maybe.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
tell us everything you tried and the results...
how often does it happen...what exactly are you doing when it crashes...
did you add any hardware or software recently...any software or windows updates...
does it crash when you boot into safe mode with networking and run it that way...
look in the device manager ...got any yellow ! or ? or red X's

Rueben

Rueben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Recently installed new widescreen monitor new Nvidia Geforce 8400 graphics card and a new power supply. Windows updates automatically but have not found anything recently installed that could be the problem. Also had some device driver and hp updates as well. It was right after the power supply and graphics card installation and a couple of device driver updates related to that stuff that the shutdown problems occured. The phoneix bios I have does not show wake on lan option and cannot remember if it did before the problems occured though its supposed to be an option. I dont touch the bios but it was suggested I look in it for the wake on lan option since that could be an issue. Attempted to get an update to that but was told I have the most current version. Theres no yellow question marks or stuff like that showing up in the device manager screen. Scanned for viruses and the like since that could be an issue maybe but have not come up with anything there either. All im doing is just shutting down the computer does not matter if the computer is on a short time or not. Tried the safe mode that didnt seem to work either.

Edited by Rueben, 22 January 2010 - 01:41 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

It was right after the power supply and graphics card installation and a couple of device driver updates related to that stuff that the shutdown problems occured.

you could try using system restore to get back before you installed those drivers...if that fixes the problem reinstall one at a time or you can try uninstalling the device drivers that were installed just prior to the shutdown issues one at a time with a reboot in between...then try shutting down again

Edited by happyrock, 22 January 2010 - 08:01 AM.

Rueben

Rueben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
System restore didnt work dont know why its not working right now but will try removing stuff one at a time I guess see if that does it. After installing the new monitor awhile back I was certain I removed all of monitor drivers related to the old monitor but some stuff still shows up in the device manager could that also be the cause of the trouble or no. Could the new power supply or graphics card be causing the trouble as well dont think so but did so many upgrades all in about a month so just trying to eliminate things one at a time.