Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router > Router

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi Guys,

I need a quick answer please!!

I have two modems, i want to use the one to act as an access point to 'see' the other modem.

I basically want to know if i can substitute my wireless PCI card for the router?

Will one router connect to another router and let me surf / download stuff?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to clarify your question and your intentions here..

you said you've got two modems, but then you start talking about routers. if they are modems why do you have/need two modems? if they're routers, why do you have/need two routers? what are you trying to achieve?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the same computer I am attempting to help with HERE with the BSOD's and possible memory problem?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi people. No it's not the same computer with the bsod. That topic i will get to this weekend after i've done some other stuff. What i meant to say is i have 2 router's. Not modems. The one is in the house, and the other one is in a granny flat about 12m away. I want to use the one router as a wireless card to connect to the other router and access the internet. Can it be done?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wireless 12 miles away?
Nope can't happen.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Rshaffer61

I think he meant 12 meters he is from Africa "metric system" lol

I was wondering the same thing when I read it...

Have a good night bud :)

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
South Africa :) and yes i mean't 12metres. Trying on a phone because i have no internet access is getting on my nerves.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you won't be able to do that with a wireless router...wireless routers don't connect to other routers wirelessly

you would need a Range Extender or a Wireless bridge

12 meters isn't THAT far (36 feet....ish) and if you place your wireless router in the proper location (up high, near a window that has line of site to the flat, etc...) you might be able to get a wireless connection without any extra equipment, assuming that the devices in the flat are wireless capable

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks alot.

the laptop picks up the house router but the desktop? naahhhh.... go figure.

And i broke the laptop.

The the BSOD error and beyond...

thanks for the help.