Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible build for around £400

• Please log in to reply

Jezza32

Jezza32

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new to PC building and wanted to see if this was a good possible system. All prices in UK£

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - 122.01
Graphics card - Inno3D 9800GT Esave Edition 1GB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card - 82.40
Case - Coolermaster Elite 335 Case -28.04
PSU - Sumvision 450W 20+4pin SATA Power Supply PSU - 15.32
RAM - Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty - 70.58
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3P nForce 520LE Socket AM2+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - 40.12
Hard-drive - Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM - 37.41
Optical drive - Samsung SH-D162 16x48x DVD-ROM Internal IDE (Black) - 13.36

All from eBuyer, including vat and shipping
Total price = 409.24
I have all the extra's (mouse, speakers, moniter, OS's, spare IDE hard-drive)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Phenom X4 955 is not listed as supported by that board. In fact that board doesn't support any 125w processors.
Also don't buy a Sumvision branded power supply, they are crap and they will take everything out and then some more when they go bang.

If you up your budget to £450, you can have this power supply @ £40:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150985/

Then use this board @ £56 which will allow you to use your Phenom II X4 955:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159073

So your total is £409.24 minus the PSU at £15.32 and minus the board at £40.12. That leaves £353.80.

Add on the replacements parts: £353.80 + £40 = £393.80. £393.80 + £55.86 = £449.66.

Always worth spending a bit more on the power supply. No power supply unfortunately means no machine, and a cheap power supply will probably go bang a lot quicker and wipe the entire lot out.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Guys,

Just my 2 cents here... I was working on this earlier and got side tracked...(walk in computer problems, Got to love them!)

Yes I would definatly agree with Neil Jones... The MOBO you selected didn't support your CPU choice...

Anyways that's over on to my thoughts.

I believe in the long run you would much better like this ram.
below... You choose ram that will significantly slow down this great new computer you plan on building...

Better Ram -->> Here
This is the fastest ram you can pick up for a reasonable price for the MOBO Neil suggested... This will help your computer run faster...

Also this is just my thought... The seagate drives have had alot of know problems I try to stay away from them... This HDD is equvalent in every way to the one you selected...
Better HDD -->> HERE

I also noticed that the Optical drive you selected was IDE this is also going to slow your system down... You should look at drives that are SATA they transfer data faster than the IDE drives...
better DVD drive -->> HERE

Ok those are my thoughts take them or leave them... I just wanted to point that out...

Anyways I hope your build goes well for you, and if you have any other questions we are all here to help you...

Good luck :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Also this is just my thought... The seagate drives have had alot of know problems I try to stay away from them... This HDD is equvalent in every way to the one you selected...
Better HDD -->> HERE

I much appreciate your input but Seagate and Maxtor have no more problems than any other brand, and they're no more reliable or unreliable than any other brand.

I also noticed that the Optical drive you selected was IDE this is also going to slow your system down... You should look at drives that are SATA they transfer data faster than the IDE drives...
better DVD drive -->> HERE

Realistically makes no difference whether it's IDE or SATA. In theory a twin IDE DVD Writer setup would be slower than a twin SATA DVD Writer setup especially with regards to disk-to-disk copying. A single drive on its own has no major performance effect on the system regardless of how it's connected internally.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Neil,

I much appreciate your input but Seagate and Maxtor have no more problems than any other brand, and they're no more reliable or unreliable than any other brand.

I was only speaking from memory of the near past, I knew they were having problems "they knew about" but had taken "awhile" to get it addressed. I understand that all drives have the possibility of failure "regardless of maker." If they are functioning in a better manner then that is good. I have just stayed away from them myself. Along with others I know. But all brands get there turn on the guillotine every now and again.

Realistically makes no difference whether it's IDE or SATA. In theory a twin IDE DVD Writer setup would be slower than a twin SATA DVD Writer setup especially with regards to disk-to-disk copying. A single drive on its own has no major performance effect on the system regardless of how it's connected internally.

I have both and IDE and a SATA optical drive on the same computer... My IDE always finishes several minutes behind my SATA. I can start them in different orders and my SATA will come out on top.

In the long scheme of things it doesn't matter a great deal. Cause ultimately you can only go as fast as the drive can "spin and read" the disc... But it seems to have some speed advantages to me...

The other reason I like to go with the SATA is because it is so widely supported currently, and it seems like it to me the manufactures are slowly phasing out IDE... Older technology always gets pushed aside after a while for "bigger and better" things.

I have not investigated that or looked into it. That is just my opinion.

Anyways thank you for the comments... Always keeps me thinking

Cbarnard