Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking disk for consistency. file type NTFS

• Please log in to reply

kazzaroo-kid

kazzaroo-kid

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

When starting up my computer enters a blue screen with a message. One of your disks needs checked for consistency...type of disk NTFS

it runs through and continues to load. But I have skipped it a few times, not recommended. I was then asked to run chkdsk...I did this but again it ran through on read-only mode. I was going to copy the results on here but to no avail.

Should I be worried about this????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kaz

Advertisements

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would let the check disk finish and not skip it your computer is trying to check the system for errors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the next steps in order:

Click Start, then Run (Search In Vista)
Type cmd, and click Ok
At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query ?: and press Enter (Where ? is the letter of the drive to queried)

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

kazzaroo-kid

kazzaroo-kid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi, i got it sorted :)

yeah disk was dirty but followed the instructions from another topic on here and now disk is clean. thanks for the quick replies

kaz

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything running ok now?
I'm glad you found the other topic to help you and i would have sent the instructions once i knew it was dirty.
I'm just glad it is sorted out now.

kazzaroo-kid

kazzaroo-kid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey...Yeah its running well. I think the reason it started doing this was because my charger is on its last legs...and my laptop would just lose all power...

Would that be correct?

I have another charger ordered and on its way :)

My friends laptop has gotten very noisy. I think its the hard disk, would it best to get a new internal hard drive? Where would I get one?

Kaz

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usually a Dirty bit is caused by something being written to the memory that did not have time to process before the system was shutdown or rebooted.
So yes it could have been a power issue that caused this.

My friends laptop has gotten very noisy. I think its the hard disk, would it best to get a new internal hard drive? Where would I get one

What do you mean by noisy?
If it is indeed the hard drive then you need to replace it and yes it would need to be internal. Any computer store should be able to get one for it but may take longer to get since it is usually not a stock item for laptop hard drives. Online works great if you have a online store then you could get one probably faster. If you know one and send me a link I will check ir our for you and find the correct drive for you.

AriezMoon

AriezMoon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I see this is an older topic, but I am now having this problem with my laptop. It just started a few days ago. I tried what you had suggested but mine does not come up as dirty. Could you please tell me what else I may do to fix this problem? Thanks ever so much in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: AriezMoon

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Send me a message and I will assist you with it further.
Thank you for your cooperation.

diskcinsistency

diskcinsistency

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Why u no tell what other topic you read???!?

Edit: I fixed my repeating Disk Consistency check on WinXp Startup.
Solution: My Computer -> RIGHT CLICK the disk (Local Disk) that is always being checked -> Properties -> Tools -> Check Now... (Under "Error-checking") -> tick both check options "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scar for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" -> Start

Yahoo Answers

Edited by diskcinsistency, 27 August 2013 - 06:38 PM.