Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stops responding if left idle too long

• Please log in to reply

John_Lennon

John_Lennon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know what the problem is with my computer. Every time I leave it alone for about 10 minutes or so, the entire thing freezes up. Nothing is accessible. Everything running just stops responding and I have to press the power button to shut the computer off. After that, the computer boots up fine and I am able to do ordinary things again unless I leave it idle, then the freezing up happens again.

This has been happening for a few months now. It's not the screen saver. In fact, I use the screen saver to let me know how long I've been away from the computer. If I see the screen saver, I have to touch the mouse pad or do something like minimize a window in order to prevent the computer from freezing. If I need to get away from the computer for a while, I have to log off of my user account because it doesn't freeze when I'm logged off or in safe mode. And occasionally, instead of freezing, I'll get an error message that says, "Host process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed."

At first, I thought it was a game I have (The Sims 2). On the same day this started, the game froze and an error message came up and I had to "terminate" the game. I remember the error message had that word in it and that's all I can recall of it. I tried uninstalling the game and downloading patches for the expansion packs and after that, the game ran fine, but the computer would still freeze if I left it idle. It's a mystery to me as to why this all started to happen.

I checked Event Manager once and got this:
"Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 6/20/2009 4:44:43 PM
Event ID: 1005
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Computer
Description:
Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlUAD_P_S-1-5-21-445318638-3710151374-614389321-1000.db for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Host Process for Windows Services because of this error.

Program: Host Process for Windows Services
File: C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlUAD_P_S-1-5-21-445318638-3710151374-614389321-1000.db

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: C0000185
Disk type: 3
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1005</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-20T21:44:43.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>19645</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Computer</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgGlUAD_P_S-1-5-21-445318638-3710151374-614389321-1000.db</Data>
<Data>Host Process for Windows Services</Data>
<Data>C0000185</Data>
<Data>3</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>"

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

John_Lennon

John_Lennon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Any clues?

Zaltys

Zaltys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You've probably already fixed that, but just in case...

I had the exact same problem. Took several weeks to figure out the cause.
In my case it was caused by COMODO Internet Security + Boinc. Boinc tried to do something after computer had been idle for a while, but COMODO blocked it. That somehow caused the whole system to freeze and I had to manually reboot it. Uninstalled Boinc, no problems since then.

I'm sure that there are other possibilities, though. It seems to be a common problem with Windows 7.

Whalley World

Whalley World

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just a quick loose-change contribution: chkdsk /r would be the better option for #3 on your list, JL, since r implies the f switch and is more thorough. Not a big deal. :)