Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless keeps dropping out

• Please log in to reply

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi!

THE PROBLEM:
My wife and I have two laptops that we use around the house. One PC is usually in the same place, wired in, and the other is on the same floor, never more than say 25 feet away and often less than 10 feet away from the router. On a fairly regular basis (often at least once an hour), the wireless connection will drop out on that 2nd PC (and I can see it has also done so on the wired PC when the wireless on that one is enabled. But the wired connection is always fine (all the right lights are lit or blinking on the cable box). My wife says it's better if I'm not around (lol) and the main PC is not in use, but even then, it will drop out occasionally. I didn't know if this suggested it could be a bandwidth issue but usually we're not doing anything all that heavy, bandwidth wise (checking e-mail, typical website browsing).

INFO ABOUT OUR SETUP:
The main PC (Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3) is wired to our cable internet connection through the Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router WGT624 v3. I'll often have the wireless enabled as well. The second PC is an IBM Thinkpad (Lenovo) T61 (running Windows XP Professional, also Version 2002, Service Pack 3). We have a second cable going from the router to where that laptop is situated but it doesn't seem to benefit from a consistent, wired connection (I tried the Dell on that line and it was fine), so there might be something going on with that PC in addition to the wireless issue.

Anyway, that's the short of it. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

~Doug

Advertisements