Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD power consumption....

• Please log in to reply

spikey666

spikey666

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all! i have not been busy on here for a while so maybe none of you know me , but here goes lol

I have a decent machine...its nothing fancy lik just a "white box" as in i buit it myself so its very custom, nothing too powerfull but good for my need none the less!

My question is about Hard disks...and their power consumption, i have a single 7200 rpm cheap ish maxtor 250gb drive as my primary drive,, and an older seagate 7200 rpm parralel ata or IDE drive 250gb.
Will i notice the difference if i buy 1 of the samsung eco green drives?
Because i can only think in percentages... 14400 rpm total vs 5400rpm total, so when i look at it like this i could "save" 60% of the power used ..ish

But the problem is i dont even know how much power these items consume!

Its all come about after i bought a power supply, i made the mistake of getting a 550w ocz modular "fatality" and this thing cannot even power my machine properly, so ive had to UNDERclock it! would u believe it lol i spent £60+ on a new psu and i thought "branded 550w will defo power this" and it doesnt, so now im looking at other options to spending another £500 on a psu , and i could do with more space ... this will make you laugh ...... this is the system it cannot even power properly

1 x AMD atlon x2 black edition 5000+ *am2*
2 x 1gb kingston hyperx 1066mhz *running at 800 obviosly in the am2*
1 x nividia 7200 - 128mb
1 x seagate 250gb IDE Hdd
1 x Maxtor 250gb SATA Hdd
**fanset** arctic cooling freezer pro 64 with front and rear 120mm hyper fans**

I mean i got 1066 ram so i could feel safe knowing if the speed of the cpu and ram were tied when i OC the ram could handle going faster than the normal am2 top speeds ect ect

Thanks if you read this , will i notice the lower power use of the samsung eco greens?

Edited by spikey666, 21 January 2010 - 01:07 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Personally replacing a drive for the sake of replacing it for a green model is foolhardy, because yes they use less power, but the system has to be idle for this to be work, which kind of defeats the whole point. You'll do far better to replace it for a green model when your main drive dies a few years down the line.

If you bought the 550w and you think it's faulty, why are you still using it? You should send it back. There's no reason why a 550w shouldn't be capable of powering that system (what is your graphics card?) and you don't need to spend £500 on one either if your existing one is faulty. If your brand new car was faulty you'd take it back to the garage, would you not?

spikey666

spikey666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah ... i didnt really want to replace the HD...but then i thought of it as an "upgrade" but then... i would only use that eco green drive alone so then i would have 2 spare 250g perfectly decent drives....

The g card is only an nvidia 7200GS one of the least powerfull graphics cards known to man

Why does the system need to be idle to take advantage of the fact its a single slower spinning drive? i thought that a single 5400 rpm drive would allways use less power? than using two 7200rpm drives?

And im hopeless i dont have the manufacturers box any more lol , live and learn i suppose

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need the packaging. If it's faulty and under a year old, take it back. This is why we have warranties, you shouldn't have to underclock anything.