Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are you guys up for a challenge?

• Please log in to reply

Hey Chick

Hey Chick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I probably shouldn't be attempting this but I'm determined. I'm not a huge computer person. I like to turn it on and go, but I'm determined. In any event, these are the details:

-I have a desktop running Windows (98 possibly, but I'm not sure)
-My daughter has a Dell Inspirion running Windows Vista. It's 2 months old.
-I previously had set up a D-Link wireless router and I thought she was accessing the internet through our router but it recently stopped working and I realized she was connecting through a Linskeys router so I'm assuming she was stealing someone else's internet, they realized it and locked her out.
-I realized my D-Link router wasn't even plugged in and didn't work any more anyway. I purchased a new Belkin N router.

I believe I have the router installed because we can pick up the network with an iPod touch but it's not showing up on the laptop as an available network. I tried going step by step from Spacecowboy's instructions above and at Step #43 I fall short. When I type in the default gateway, I get a listing of websites.

Is this enough information to figure out where my problem is? Please, please help me! I don't know how much longer I can deal with an impatient 13 yr. old. Thank you.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Hey Chick; welcome to G2G :)

On your daughters laptop, can she see any wireless networks at all? Or is the list of available networks simply blank? If it's blank, the most likely cause of this is that she has accidently switched off her wireless switch. Sadly, this is very common and very easy to do. Have a look on the laptops keyboard for a small wireless button (usually looks like a tower with 'waves' coming out of it); this button is often located near the laptops power button. Ensure that this button is switched on (usually indicated by the light being on). Try pressing it and then take a look at your available networks again; any change?

If this doesn't solve your problem, please post back and we'll delve a little deeper.
- Dan