Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building my first Computer, need some advice please

• Please log in to reply

gkel55

gkel55

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been thinking about building my own computer for a few months now. After researching for a few days, I've assembled a rig on newegg.com that should suit my needs and it close to my price range (which is only $500-$600). I used some of the parts that SpaceMan has in his build posted below.

I do some light gaming. Thatís my main concern with this rig. I also a little image editing with GIMP, but my current computer handles it fine, so I know this rig will not have any problems.

Here's what Iím thinking of going with right now...

CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Link
Mobo- ASUS M4N68T-M AM3 NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Link
Memory- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Link
GPU- XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card Link
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Link
Case- Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Link

My current computer has a 500watt PSU and a decent DVD drive. Shouldn't I be able to use those to save purchasing new ones? My only concern is that they are 5 years old.

Are all of the parts compatible with each other?
As for a OS, I can get Windows XP from a friend that runs the local electronics store. It's a version for refurbished computers. Would it work if I get him to install XP (which he is willing to do for free) then buy a Windows 7 upgrade? Or should I just spend the extra cash on the full version of Windows 7?

Edited by gkel55, 21 January 2010 - 09:15 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to define "light gaming". What games are we talking about?

Oh, and there's no such thing as "XP for refurbished computers". It's most likely either a licence from another computer or it's a licence that'll get flagged up as non genuine. Not that I'm saying your friend does such things, but when people say stuff like "XP for refurbished computers", alarm bells ring, and ring loud.

gkel55

gkel55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I play free to play fps games...Battlefield Heroes, Combat Arms and War Rock mainly. They work OK on my current rig and it's 5 years old.

As for my buddies Windows XP. I read a lable on the back that said it was to be used on refurbished computers only. I'm not sure if it was a label from MS, but it looked like it came on the disc's cover.