Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USER NAME AND PASSWORD NEEDED TO ACCESS 2ND PC ON HOME NETWORK.

• Please log in to reply

gapper

gapper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a LYNKSYS WRT54GL on one computer and wired a second computer to the router. They both have access to the internet through COMCAST cable without a problem. The first computer, the one I installed the router in, is running VISTA HOME PREMIUM. The other computer is running XP PRO.
My problem: When I try to access the second computer on my home network, I get a sign-in box titled "sign in to GARY-PC2" ( the name of my second computer); it then asks for a user name and password. I called LYNKSYS on this and they indicated that it is a WINDOWS' issue and they could not help me. Since I never set up a user name and password for my network for the second computer, I'm unable to access it.
I've set up what I believe to be all the necessary sharing configs on both computers.
A secondary issue is that I'm unable to share the printer from the second computer. The printer is plugged into the first computer. Please help. I've been trying for hours to figure this out.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

gapper

gapper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks desenette, Ill give it a try.