Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't recognize harddrive

• Please log in to reply

Eureka5627

Eureka5627

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently, I received the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death" and one of my hard drives stopped responding, it wouldn't even see it in the BIOS. I did a little messing around with the drive (changed the PC board on it with another one exactly the same) and now the BIOS recognizes it, but Windows XP doesn't. I go into Devvice Manager and look at the drives and it is listed, but when I click on the Volumes tab abd click Populate, all the fields come up 0. For the most part this is just a backup drive, but there is some data on it that I need. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Welcome to Geeks to Go :)

I'm not sure if this will help but it is worth a try

To get your files backed up, download a Linux Live Cd. A live Cd is like using an operating system, with the bare minimum of drivers and such, without having to install the whole OS.

Get Puppy Linux from -->>here, and burn it to a blank cd-r. If you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files, download IMGBURN -->> HERE

After you've downloaded the Linux Live CD(ISO file) and IMGBURN:

1. Install Imgburn onto your computer. You can choose No when it asks to check for a new version, the older one will work fine.
2. Using Imgburn, Choose "Write Image file to disk". Choose the Folder Icon with a magnifying glass to choose your Linux ISO. When ready, burn the ISO to the disk, choosing the large "Iso file to cd" button on the bottom.
3. When complete, close Imgburn and all other applications.
4. Restart your computer(with problems). Open the CD-Rom Drive and insert your newly burned disk. Restart the computer again.
5. Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.

Puppy will boot and run totally in ram. If your hardware is in good working order you will know. After you get it running and your at the desktop, you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds, or back it up on a flash drive. You can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive.. You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

Try that and see if you can save the data from that drive to another drive

Good luck