Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

userinit.exe

• Please log in to reply

jax776

jax776

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Windows XP Professional, and recently installed Norton Internet Security 2003. After installing, i was asked to restart, so clicked OK. My system then restarted and the login screen appeared. I entered my password, and my desktop wallpaper appeared, with the following error message...

userinit.exe Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application

After clicking on OK, the message disappears, leaving my desktop wallpaper, with no icons and no taskbar, so i am unable to do anything but press the restart button on the front of my CPU. What can i do to solve the problem???

:tazz: Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Boot using your winxp cd.
Enter recovery console.
at the command prompt go to

C:/windows/system32

next type:
Dir *.exe

Do you see
wsaupdater.exe

If so, type

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon.

Run regedit

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

In the right pane, you should see

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

Change it so that it reads:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

That should solve the problem, if the malware was the one that caused the issue.

zillah

zillah

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

After clicking on OK, the message disappears, leaving my desktop wallpaper, with no icons and no taskbar, so i am unable to do anything but press the restart button on the front of my CPU. What can i do to solve the problem???

I have got exactly the same problem as in the link above with the XP Professional.

that i can not access XP at all (Neither normal mode nor safe mode).

The message that i keep receiving is :
"userinit.exe- Application error"
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Click on OK to terminate the application"

Boot using your winxp cd. Enter recovery console. at the command prompt go to

I tried this
http://www.kellys-ko..._wel_screen.htm

Place your XP CD in and navigate to the Recovery Console.
Change the C:\Windows prompt to: C:\Windows\System32 and copy userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe

Reboot into Safe Mode and modify:

change userinit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon from wsaupdater.exe, to userinit.exe,

Added info:

Recovering XP using the Recover Console (Line 333) Right hand side:

But it did not help, because i would not able to access the safe mode.

Any other insights.

Thanks

Please bear in mind that i can not access window at all, therefore I can not go online and scan the PC for virus or whatever other solutions that might be suggested

Juan to go

Juan to go

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am here of course because I am having the same problem. What I am experiencing that is different is that when I try to boot up in safe mode with command prompt I get a choice, log in as administrator or myself. When I log in as myself I have the same symptoms as everyone else but if I log in as administrator I get prompted for a password. I have never put an an administrator password on my computer. When I boot from a cd and then go to the recovery console, I am again prompted for a password. I am sure that it was caused by a virus since the last site that I was on kept popping up ads. Any info on how to get or find the password so that I can use the solution that was presented earlier?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is no password then just click through it. By default there is no password for Administrator

Try this to fix the userinit problem:

Reboot the system and at the first post screen(where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner "Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.

Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp pro cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result

Wannabe1 userinit.exe fix

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 May 2009 - 09:32 PM.

Juan to go

Juan to go

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info but I continue to be prompted for a password and after three tries it reboots. And at the recovery console I get prompted for a password even after I press enter. But what seems to get me in (still playing with it) is the trick from the other part of your site on passwords. Here it is below.

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am here of course because I am having the same problem. What I am experiencing that is different is that when I try to boot up in safe mode with command prompt I get a choice, log in as administrator or myself. When I log in as myself I have the same symptoms as everyone else but if I log in as administrator I get prompted for a password. I have never put an an administrator password on my computer. When I boot from a cd and then go to the recovery console, I am again prompted for a password. I am sure that it was caused by a virus since the last site that I was on kept popping up ads. Any info on how to get or find the password so that I can use the solution that was presented earlier?

It appears you may have a malware problem.
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here