Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Net work drivers need updating-but i have no Internet

• Please log in to reply

LarryH

LarryH

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
2 of my Network Adapters have a yellow exclamation point when i look in Device Manager. They were messed up by viruses. I have an eMachine computer if that matters. The first is "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC - Winpk Filter Miniport" - For status, it says "Windows cannot start this hardware because its configuration information(in the registry) is incomplete or damaged(Code 19)". The 2nd bad device is "WAN Miniport (IP) - WinpkFilter Miniport. Same exact status as the other. I assume I need to update the drivers and it will fix these devices and the Register? How do I do that if I can not get to the Internet with that computer? I do have another computer and flash drive to use for downloading

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I do have another computer and flash drive to use for downloading

looks like you answered your own question...download the drivers on the other computer, put them on the flash drive...then install them on the busted machine

LarryH

LarryH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I cant seem to find a site to specifically download 2 drivers. They all seem to want to download an application that evaluates my machine than goes to the Internet to get the appropriate one. But, when it tries to go to the Internet in fails becasue that machine cant get to the Internet. Suggested sites?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to the emachines support site and select your computer model...this will give you access to the drivers

LarryH

LarryH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
When I go to the site it seems to download 1 Realtek driver, and not the one on my machine - at least i dont think so. The ones I name above are the ones I am looking for. Am I doing something wrong?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
possibly, what's the model number on your computer

LarryH

LarryH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
T6520.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what makes you think that's not the right realtek driver? have you tried installing it?

LarryH

LarryH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Not sure what to do. the download was a zip file. to update the dirvers from device manager i need to say where to install from. I dont know if these are right - i need 2 drivers - i dont think emachines gave me 2. For that matter, in device manager, there are 7 items, 2 are bad, wouldnt emachines send me all of them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not necessarily...

what you need to do is unzip that zip file (in XP you double click it and it will open it) then copy the files inside to a place you'll remember (like a folder on the desktop called "drivers")...one of the files should be something called setup...if you run that it will install the drivers for you

that will get your network card back up and probably re-establish internet connections...the wanminiport driver that you're seeing is probably for something else which we'll look at in a bit

LarryH

LarryH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK - here we go. You are right of course, the download does appear to have the correct eMachine Realtek Driver. So here is my latest problem. When I did what you stated, I can see 4 or 5 files including a .DRV file. I went to Device Manager and tried to update the Driver for this bad device by pointing to the specific location. So good so far. When I try to update the hardware update wizard returns a message "Cannot Continue the Hardware Update Wizard The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed" Any thoughts?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
might not be a driver issue....

in device manager, right click on the NIC and choose uninstall....once it's uninstalled, right click somewhere and choose "scan for new hardware", when it detects the NIC do the driver install

LarryH

LarryH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
so far so good! Thank you. I definitely made a mistake or 2 as I have 3 Realtek devices that are now listed in Device Manager, but 2 have yellow exclamation points and arent being used i guess. Anyway, I now have Internet access! I am running F-Secure for the 1st time. I had many viruses to contend with. I still have a few issues. One is a known Google redirect - I hope F-Secure finds it and removes it. My Spysweeper software didn't. Also, for some reason Firefox only works for me when I have the Webroot Firewall allowing all traffic. Not sure why since i thought i allowed all rules. Lastly, when the firewall is filtering i keep seeing it "block incoming UDP from 169.254.1.72. Any thoughts? And thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..