Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another easy question no.2

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
High, I made the shutdown and the reboot bat files, I would like to make a safemode bat file in case a machine ever has msconfig blocked, even if I know about the f8 key. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what you're asking for is a little dicey...I can think of a way to do it, but it is far more complicated than is necessary.

A far better idea is to edit your boot.ini file to add a safe mode option....in fact, every PC I own I do two things at install

install the recovery console and add the safe mode option as well, then set the time out to five second.

So, mine looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional safemode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

DO NOT JUST CUT AND PASTE MY BOOT.INI FILE...if our ARC config is different you will hose your system.

the above boot.ini file boots automatically to XP, and also offers the choice of recovery console or safe mode for five seconds (sometimes I use three seconds)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, will study this subject further and come back :tazz: