Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random blue-screen errors

• Please log in to reply

waterwork

waterwork

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I am getting random blue screen errors, and I'm not sure why. There is no particular application/program running when they hit, and the message is usually something along the lines of "There was a hardware problem..."

I'm hoping its just bad memory, HD, or video card but I'm not sure how to find out Are there any good diagnostic programs I can run out there that might help me track this down?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why would you make a post about a blue screen error and not tell us what the blue screen error is?

There are probably 50 common bsods and a hundred less common ones

Listing the content of blue screen error is ALWAYS helpful

In the meantime,

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs...list them here.

waterwork

waterwork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ah, yeah.... kinda embarrassed about that :tazz: I forgot to write the error message down, and now that I need one to happen, my computer has been running fine for the past 3 hours...

Thanks again for your help!!

Anyways, here are the errors I'm seeing:
System

Source: FW1
FW1: FW1: Unbinding from UNKNOWN

FW1: -->as!!!

FW1: FwAddAdapterContext: failed to get adapter's ali-->

FW1: -->r {40502B96-A21A-4B1D-BFD8-8CF366385CD6}!

FW1: FwGetShortAdapterName: can't retrieve DrvInst fo-->

FW1: FW1: Build 2195 is required!

FW1: FW1: Running on Build 2600 is not supported!

Source: Service Control Manager
The IIS Admin service terminated with the following error:
The data is invalid.

Source: System Error
Error code 0000007f, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Source: DCOM
The server {A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Application
Source: TrueVector Service
TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\DAVE.ldb" was corrupt and has been copied to "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDB17D.tmp". File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\DAVE.ldb" was corrupt and has been deleted.

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt, restoring from backup "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB".

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt and has been copied to "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDB17C.tmp". File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt and has been deleted.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sorry, don't mean to be snippy, but that drives me nuts...had a friend who said his car wouldn't start, and then he added helpfully (he thought)..."it's a blue one" like that was going to help me to get it started.

True story

This is what I can glean from those messages:

This is the important one (I think)...means a stop error 0000007f, occured.

This is a very low level error, generally at the hardware level. Sometimes, it signifies a motherboard going bad,or perhaps bad memory.

You can certainly try memtest86+ (google it) and test your memory that way, but these other errors are interesting.

I'm going to goout on a limb here and ask...zonealarm? All those FW1 sound and the activity they seem to be trying to start/accomplish seem to be firewall related.

If not zonealarm, do you have a different firewall?

waterwork

waterwork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I think the FW1 messages might have to do with the VPN software I have, Checkpoint. I believe somewhere in the software name is "FW1".

I'm going to try the memtest86+ software now, I will post the results after it is run, thanks!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, you have checkpoint firewall on a workstation? Or is this a server?

Yes, FW1 is checkpoint...I knew I'd run into it before.....perhaps it is a client for the vpn as you said....haven't kept up...that said, all those errors are still a warning flag and checkpoint operates at a very low level....

I would check for updates, or do a reinstall (is this a business PC)?

waterwork

waterwork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Its a personal PC - maybe I'll just uninstall the VPN software, I haven't used it on > 1 yr. I'll keep an eye on the log again, and see if I keep getting those error messages.

Weird that it would start causing problems now...