Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making sure netbook is running at top performance.

• Please log in to reply

psufan41

psufan41

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Good Afternoon!

Would like some guidance on making sure my netbook is free from any unneed bloatware and running at optimal condition. I feel I have programs running in the background that shouldn't be. I also want to make sure there isn't any possibility of a virus that is some how still on the hard drive. This is the 2nd time I had to do a system restore due to Windows XP not responding once booted up. It seems to be running just fine now. So I want to take all the steps necessary to keep it that way. Its less than a year old dell netbook running Windows XP.

I've asked for advice before with great results so I now I have great help on this site.

Thank you kindly!

-Brian

Advertisements

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Should I run any programs that I can post or take screenshots of the results? I see things like autoruns and everest are used for information.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy psufan41. :)

I would recommend you download Autoruns and Everest:

http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

http://www.lavalys.com/

Run the programs and post back the logs for us to have a look at so that we can help you achieve your maximum performance. :)

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay ran both programs and have attached the reports for your viewing. Let me know if I provided the wrong information.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy.

Nope. That is the right information. :)

In autoruns, click on the Logon Tab and disable the following:
1. Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
2. CLMLServer
3. IgfxTray
4. PCMAgent
5. PlayMovie

What are the Dell programs which are loading up? Are they needed?

Next, let's clean out your temporary internet files:

Go to my signature and download TFC. Save it your desktop and once you double click on it, just follow the prompts. Save a log file and post in your next post. :)

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I downloaded TFC and ran the program but I'm not sure how to save a log as it prompts me to restart Windows XP. So i'm not sure how to obtain the log. I ran it twice and both times I had to restart without the option for a log. How do I get the log?

Dell is running the following programs that I know of;
Dell Datasafe Online - I don't need running all the time.
Dell Support Center - Don't need
Dell (I think) Wireless enable/disable

And I disabled those programs you told me to.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

I downloaded TFC and ran the program but I'm not sure how to save a log as it prompts me to restart Windows XP. So i'm not sure how to obtain the log. I ran it twice and both times I had to restart without the option for a log. How do I get the log?

Dell is running the following programs that I know of;
Dell Datasafe Online - I don't need running all the time.
Dell Support Center - Don't need
Dell (I think) Wireless enable/disable

And I disabled those programs you told me to.

Hi.

Sorry, TFC doesn't generate a log. Don't worry. :)

Ok. The Dell programs. Start autoruns and disable all the Dell programs that you don't need running. I would leave the wireless enabled.

Next, download Auslogics Defrag from my signature and run a defrag with it.

At the end you can view a report. Post that please. :)

Also, what security programs are you running?

Edited by Robin Hood, 22 January 2010 - 08:53 PM.

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Security programs. Would that be my antivirus program or spyware?
I have avast! for antivirus and SuperAntiSpyware for spyware. Any other programs you suggest as well?

Here is the report from Auslogics.

Report for the user "Meg"
Disk: OS (C:), NTFS
Disk Defragmentation Summary

Disk Size 139.24 GB
Free Space Size 130.84 GB
Clusters 36502228
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation at 1/22/2010 10:02:12 PM
Completed defragmentation at 1/22/2010 10:02:13 PM
Elapsed time 00:00:01
Total Files 36884
Total Directories 4334
Fragmented Files 18
Defragmented Files 18
Skipped Files 0
Fragmentation Before 0.04% |
Fragmentation After 0.00%

Disk Defragmentation Details
Fragments Clusters Size Result File Name
4 23045 / 23054 34.67 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_00000f
4 23054 / 23062 16.53 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Thumbnails-journal
5 23062 / 23078 52.60 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History-journal
3 23078 / 23082 14.37 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Current Session
4 23115 / 23123 16.02 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Temp\etilqs_jyL0VkGxRGy8fOe5XNeh
5 23123 / 23139 48.59 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History Index 2010-01-journal
2 23139 / 23144 18.97 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000012
2 25577 / 25582 16.05 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000011
2 8 / 11 11.70 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences
3 28113 / 28119 22.45 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000016
4 28119 / 28127 29.92 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000015
6 28127 / 28137 38.43 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000013
2 28137 / 28142 18.16 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000017
2 28142 / 28148 21.63 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000018
2 28148 / 28154 20.41 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000019
2 22942 / 22944 4.00 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Temp\etilqs_cr8PxFQE09Eg1KLXk9e0
2 28154 / 28159 19.93 KB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_00001a
4 28439 / 29103 2.58 MB OK C:\Documents and Settings\Meg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Thumbnails
File Defragmentation Summary
Result Description
OK file successfully defragmented
unmovable file file in use, access denied
cancelled file defragmentation cancelled
free space not found unable to find free contiguous disk space
cannot defragment cannot defragment, defragmentation error
Auslogics Software Ltd Pty - Visit site

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hi.

Wow that defrag was quick! :)

Looking good; I notice you have used less than 10 GB of space so it should be running quite fast.

Security Programs: Avast and Super Antispyware are both very good programs. I would also suggest using Spyware Blaster (see my sig) and MBAM (see my sig). You might also consider using a software firewall for added security. Also, have a look at the Malware Links in my signature for more information on how to use these programs effectively.

I would also recommend downloading Revo Uninstaller from my signature and use it to uninstall programs, as it will help remove all traces of unwanted programs.

How is it running now? Is it much faster than before?

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Computer is running fine and it seems fast and running smoothly.

What software firewall programs would you recommend? Any good freeware ones?

I'm going to DL the programs you suggested and read the malware links.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Good to hear. :)

I would recommend reading this article first:

http://www.geekstogo...ng-t225044.html

It will summarise the stuff I have mentioned plus suggest some free firewalls you can use. I would also recommend you read this article on firewalls:

http://www.bleepingc...tutorial60.html

After you have done all of that then read the other links in my sig (for some background reading :)).

You should be pretty set then. :)

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for all the help. I went with Zone Alarm the freeware version for now. I might upgrade to a full version later.

Hey, how do I the recycle bin icon back on the desktop? It was removed when I got rid of the stupid Dell Dock bar that they install on this netbook.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Thanks for all the help. I went with Zone Alarm the freeware version for now. I might upgrade to a full version later.

Hey, how do I the recycle bin icon back on the desktop? It was removed when I got rid of the stupid Dell Dock bar that they install on this netbook.

You are very welcome. :)

Zone Alarm is a good choice. :)

As for the Recycle Bin, simply read the below article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810869

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

psufan41

psufan41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you for all your help. Notebook is running just great.

Question, are there virus that can still be present even after a complete system reinstall? Or does that wipe all traces off the gard drive and registry?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Thank you for all your help. Notebook is running just great.

Question, are there virus that can still be present even after a complete system reinstall? Or does that wipe all traces off the gard drive and registry?

That would depend on what you are calling a complete system reinstall. Different people have different definitions.

A destructive reinstall will reformat the entire drive and will leave no traces.
A repair install will fix the OS, so you will have virus's left if you had any.

Basicly, if you did a full reformat of the entire drive, then all traces would be gone.