Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I get a USB cable that will allow one device to run on 2 PC's?

• Please log in to reply

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello and thanks for reading

Is there a cable that will allow my USB Printer to run on my PC and my Husband's at the same time? I looked up USB splitter and it didn't look like the kind of cable I would need. It was for connecting a mouse and keyboard to a laptop. What I need would be a cable that plugs into the back of my printer and then splits into two long cables with a USB plug at each end.

Is there such a thing and what is called if there is?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I don't think there is such a thing because the printer must communicate back to the computer too, and splitting the signal would cause confusion.

How do both computers connect to the Internet now? Hopefully this is done with a router as that provides a tremendous layer of security. It also allows you to connect a print server to your network (your network being everything on your side of the gateway device, typically a cable or DSL modem) and then connect a printer to the print server.

With a print server, no "host" computer needs to be set for print and file sharing - another security plus. The printer is not tethered to a host computer, meaning no computer needs to be up and running for the other computers to use the printer. And the printer can be centrally located, anywhere on the network, and not taking up space on your desk.

Some routers have print servers already built in. And some printers now come network ready and equipped with servers as well. If your current router or printer does not have one, then there are several types of print servers - both wireless and Ethernet.

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I don't think there is such a thing because the printer must communicate back to the computer too, and splitting the signal would cause confusion.

Thank you, that sounds logical even to a computer dunce like me.

The 2 PC's are currently connected to the internet via a router with an ethernet cable. I did try to get them to share the printer but it only worked when I turned the firewall and anti-virus programmes off and I didn't want that.

Thanks for the information about the print server, I've never heard of them before. I'll look into it.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated :):)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply

No problem - I do it for things like this:

much appreciated :) :)

Print server, BTW, have been around for as long as networks have been around so they are nothing special technically. You should have been able to configure your FW and AV to let the sharing happen, but that is not as secure as no sharing and then the host computer would always have to be up and running too. So a print server is better for many reasons.