Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A+ Certification?

• Please log in to reply

digitalcrix

digitalcrix

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm am going to buy an A+ Certification guide soon and was just wondering which are the best to buy?

I was thinking...

CompTIA Complete Study Guide

and

the Exam Cram

Anyone who has any experience on taking this exam: any help/tips would be appreciated.

I have a few old junk computers that i will be working on on the side as well to help.
I have some experience in basic pc hardware and software troubleshooting.

anything will help!
thanks,
Robin

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I've read the Network+ Certification book by that company, and I thought it was a very well organised. I'd expect the A+ edition would be similar quality wise.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi digitalcrix,

If you go to the CompTIA A+ website you can see the Exam Objectives after entering in some of your information. You can then do A LOT of your own research and learning through Google. Remember, Google is your friend, you can ask it anything and get answers 100% of the time.

With that said, buying some sort of Guide like you linked to would surely help, it really depends on your learning style. I learn best from searching on how to do things on Youtube, seriously! ...because I'm a visual learner.

Also, you may want to Google CompTIA A+ schools in your area. I plan to attend a series of courses(schooling) that will give me hands on learning for me to pass the A+ Certification Tests. The cost for that at the nearest school is $3000 with finincial aid available, and the tests are about $200 each. (There are two tests). The particular school I'll be attending is solely dedicated at teaching for these kinds of courses... it's not just a community college or some B rate place. There are practice tests on the CompTIA website as well... I was told you need a 75% or better on the final tests to obtain the A+ Cert.

I hope that helps. :)

EDIT: One of the best things I ever did to get me started was spend $90 on a van load of old computer junk in which I was able to get my first non-working computer to boot!, and sold tons of it on Craigslist which forced me to research the things I sold which in turn helped me learn about computer stuff. Also, I stuck around here and ASKED TONS OF QUESTIONS and read all kinds of threads. Jumping in on trying to fix some old computers like you have should really help and get you motivated to learn more.

Edited by Ferrari, 23 January 2010 - 05:20 PM.