Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connections Icons missing/modem can't be detected; explore

• Please log in to reply

csy

csy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi

I recently had a couple of viruses on my computer (see my other post) that's been taken care of- but my computer still has a lot of problems. I'm concerned that I've lost a lot of important files / registry info.

My computer: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600)
Internet: Verizon's Westell 6100 Modem - DSL cable. I use Firefox as the main browser.

Issues:
- can't connect to internet: my modem itself is working fine; when I open the network connections folder- my local internet and wireless conn. icons are missing. Yes, I tried the methods present in microsoft's troubleshoot article for this problem but none of them worked.

In this part of method 1 :

Verify that the necessary services are started. The Services settings simply direct the system to stop, start, and administer system services.
Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
Double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
In the right pane, look at the Status column. You may need to expand the box so that you can see all the columns. Make sure that the following services are started:
Remote procedure call (RPC)
(This service must be started before other services can take effect.).
Network Connections
(This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
Plug and Play
COM+ Event System
(This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
Remote Access Connection Manager
(This service can only start if Telephony service is active.)
Telephony
(This service can only start if the RPC service and the PnP Service are active.)

I found that my remote procedure call locater can't be started as well as my network connections (failed because it was taking too long) and a lot of other services that were important couldn't be started as well.

I tried reinstalling the verizon wireless drivers and modem via CD but it didn't work because it said that 'my modem couldn't be detected.'

- also, explorer.exe isn't starting automatically when I reboot. I have to run it with task manager a couple of times before it works. And each time I run it, for some reason my "my documents" folder pops open whenever explorer.exe starts working and I can see my desktop icons and toolbar.

- no audio either. Itunes warns me that something's wrong with my audio config. And when I open sound settings in control panel, it says that there is no audio driver (or something like that). At device manager, all my drivers are reported to be working fine. I decided to uninstall realtek and redownload the driver to maybe fix this problem.

Some minor problems:
no troublshoot (nothing happens when I click it)
I can't access help and support at all.

Please someone help me! I've already tried looking at other people's posts on the web. I'll specify more if you want additional info.

Thank you

this is my old post : infections- win32 olmarik rf, vundo, win heur and more [Closed], tried almost everything

Advertisements