Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Login/Logout Loop - How to REGEDIT without Recovery Disks?

• Please log in to reply

apx_31088

apx_31088

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!

I, too, have an issue with an XP Login/Logout loop. To work to solve the hard drive was installed into another computer as a slave and ran a virus detection program. A virus was found, but don't remember the name. The virus was removed. After reinstalling the HD as the primary drive on the original computer, the loop still happens without change and also loops in booting Safe Mode.
The hard drive was then put back into the other computer as a slave. Then copied wsaupdater.exe to userinit.exe in the system32 folder. Then put the hard drive back as primary in the original computer, but the login/logout loop still occurs without change during normal and safe mode boots.
Many solutions for this prooblem describe that a registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
needs to be changed to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe" using REGEDIT. Because of the login loop, I cannot conceive how to execute REGEDIT. Doing a Windows Recovery is not possible because there is no recovery partition and the original Windows XP installation CD's are not available. Is there a way to execute REGEDIT on the machine when I cannot login to it? Is REGEDIT accessable from the Command Prompt? Can REGEDIT be used to edit the registry on a slave drive instead of the primary drive (which looks like the easiest way to change the registry entry)?

Here's what I'm seeing:
1. During boot, everything goes normal until the Welcome login screen.
2. When I click on the account name, the system reports that it is loading personal settings.
3. The Desktop wallpaper shows for a few seconds without also showing any other icons or a Start button.
4. The Welcome login screen shows again and reports that it is logging off.
5. The Welcome login screen shows the user account icons and is ready for someone to login again.

Advertisements

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
regedit cannot be executed while in non-graphical mode, but you can still use the reg command.

apx_31088

apx_31088

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How to keep the MSDOS window from closing when typing in REG commands?

apx_31088

apx_31088

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll strike the previous reply - when using the Recovery Console the DOS window doesn't close. The problem occured when I was practicing while using the RUN window . . .

apx_31088

apx_31088

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
REG is not a command available with the Recovery Console.

Is there a way I can use REGEDIT on a C: drive to edit the registry on a slaved D: drive? Once the key is changed, then the slaved drive will be moved back as te master on the target computer.