Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling IE Ver 8 on Vista

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi,

I have a laptop, using Vista.
Was wondering if I can uninstall my Internet Explorer, if it would go back to previous version? Asking, as I cannot update anymore. I just get "Update Failed" message when Windows does updates.

Also, I was wondering if you could tell me what programs HAVE to run in Task Manager. I have 75 processors running and I'm sure that not all of them need to run. It's dragging my laptop.

Many Thanks,
Susan

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try Windows updates reset tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Thanks Broni.

I will try that link you sent me. Could you or anyone else help with all that crap that runs in the background. Using Task Manger tells me that 75 processors are running at once. What excatly HAS to be running and what can I disable.

Many Thanks,
Susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi Broni,

That link did not help with my problem. The error message reads something like "could not install as a newer version has been detected on your computer". I've searched the Microsoft Knowledge Data but still can't find an answer to my problem.

I'd still like to know if all those processors have to be running in the background. A while back one tech told me I only needed certain ones running, however, I can't remember which ones.

Many Thanks, Susan

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Susan9700-

This site has several configuration options that you can look through to try to speed up your computer. Let me know if you need any help with it.

As for your other issue, I will do some research and see what I can find out. In the meantime, if there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask. :)

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
FNP,
Rather late in the RSVP department. That site you sent me to is totally confusing. I have no idea where to start. HELP!!!
Susan

kpope78

kpope78

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello Susan9700!

You can't actually remove the entire IE functionality, as it is integrated into the operating system. What you CAN do, however, is disable it from the system. To accomplish this, go to the control panel / uninstall a program.

On the top left of the side panel, you will see "Turn Windows features on or off". Click on that.
Wait while the list is compiled.
Then simply uncheck the "Internet Explorer 8" checkbox and click "OK"

I hope that is what you were looking for. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
kpope78,
thank you so much for an easy not so technical answer to my question.
will try your suggestion and see how it works.
do I then reinstall IE from Microsoft website.
problem is that I can't get any IE updates or security patches downloaded without that error message.
still would like to use IE as my browser.
thanks again,
susan

Edited by Susan9700, 18 November 2010 - 04:59 PM.