Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP stuck in endless install loop

• Please log in to reply

smashguy37

smashguy37

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
My friend's computer finally crapped out from tons of viruses and trojans. I'm helping him clean his system out (physically) and reinstall Windows XP. His OS drive has been wiped clean.

I'm not sure what the motherboard is, but it's smaller and I think the processor is AMD and both HDDs are IDE.

After some initial master/slave confusion, I got the (genuine) XP disc to start the install and it goes through the first part (before the part that says "39 mins remaining" and has the "new features" of XP stuff next to it), but it reboots and then it goes back into the same install part and if I let it go, it shows that I already have an OS installed (because it JUST installed) and I've tried overwriting it or doing a repair and nothing...if I take the CD out it gives an error that says 'DISK BOOT ERROR'.

The boot sequence has the optical drive as last and the HDDs first, but it doesn't matter what I change the sequence too, it's either I get stuck in this setup loop or I get a boot disk error. I have a WD LifeGuard test on the hard drive through another computer and it reads okay. Am I missing something here? Thank you.

Advertisements

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Also, I was originally getting a CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded error, but it stopped and then I was getting the scenario in my first post. I tried again tonight and am now getting the CMOS error. I have tried removing the battery and putting back in but no luck. Would a nearly dead battery cause the setup loop?