Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game Locks/Crashes with ATI Radeon 3650

• Please log in to reply

Monty4317

Monty4317

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
So, I just pieced together a computer out of some old stuff I had lying around. It starts up fine and everything functions EXCEPT for a couple of games. While playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion my monitor will suddenly enter "Power Save" mode and not respond or turn back on. It doesn't always occur at the exact same place but it seems to happen when I am either at the character creation screen, entering/exiting doorways or by pressing the "quick save" button. Nothing I do will get the computer to respond again and I can hear the game running in the background (I could even hear my character perform some actions!). In the end, I have to shut down my computer and restart. I've searched for solutions to this but haven't found anything. I've tried using different monitors but I get the same thing every time.

I tried to get the latest drivers for my video card from AMD but it says "Unauthorized Download: We're sorry, but this download request cannot be authorized. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about our services and products"

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3

ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP
Processor AMD Athlon XP 3.0
1Gig DDR Ram

Any idea where I can find the drivers for my video card? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this possibly a Saphire ATI card?
If so go HERE for the correct drivers as the ATI drivers most likely will not work.
First window chose Graphics Card
Second window chose AGP
Third window chose Sapphire HD 3600 Series
Lower window then chose 3650 with the correct ram amount you have on the card. Then click Submit.
New window will open. Make sure to choose your OS in the drop down window and click GO
All the Hotfix's for your card are there. I don't know where you are with yours but i would suggest getting the newest one and see what happens. If it doesn't work then we can always uninstall it and try a different one.
Let me know how it works when you are done.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 January 2010 - 01:54 AM.

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Is this possibly a Saphire ATI card?
If so go HERE for the correct drivers as the ATI drivers most likely will not work.
First window chose Graphics Card
Second window chose AGP
Third window chose Sapphire HD 3600 Series
Lower window then chose 3650 with the correct ram amount you have on the card. Then click Submit.
New window will open. Make sure to choose your OS in the drop down window and click GO
All the [b]Hotfix's
for your card are there. I don't know where you are with yours but i would suggest getting the newest one and see what happens. If it doesn't work then we can always uninstall it and try a different one.
Let me know how it works when you are done.

Tried it out and it didn't work. I successfully downloaded the correct hotfix from sapphire and installed it. Now I don't get as far as I used to... when I start a "New Game" in Oblivion, the screen goes black for a minute and then enters power save mode like it used to. I can still hear audio from the game (I can even hear noises from arrowing through different menu options). It was a good try though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the Hotfix you downloaded?

Catalyst 9.12 HOTFIX for HD2k/HD3k/HD4k AGP cards and Windows Vista (32-bit) for Windows Vista 32-bit Edition Date Dec 21, 2009

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 January 2010 - 01:59 AM.

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Is this the Hotfix you downloaded?

Catalyst 9.12 HOTFIX for HD2k/HD3k/HD4k AGP cards and Windows Vista (32-bit) for Windows Vista 32-bit Edition Date Dec 21, 2009

No. I am working from my laptop (which runs vista atm and I am waiting to get 7 :) ). My desktop (the computer that has the problem) runs Windows Xp 32bit.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the one you got was this one

Catalyst 9.12 HOTFIX for HD2k/HD3k/HD4k AGP cards and Windows XP (32-bit) for Windows XP 32-bit Edition... dated Dec 21, 2009

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
That is correct.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK have you uninstalled the catalyst completely and then installed the newest one?
Are you sure it isn't a monitor issue?
Unless the video card itself is the issue then we have to look at other options which could be memory, power saving settings, hard drive or motherboard. I doubt the last would be the issue since the system works fine other then the game or so that you mentioned at the beginning.
Just a ideal please do the following.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Monty4317

Monty4317

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

OK have you uninstalled the catalyst completely and then installed the newest one?
Are you sure it isn't a monitor issue?
Unless the video card itself is the issue then we have to look at other options which could be memory, power saving settings, hard drive or motherboard. I doubt the last would be the issue since the system works fine other then the game or so that you mentioned at the beginning.
Just a ideal please do the following.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Sorry for the delay. I'm going to try this out now. My next post will be an update of what I've done.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

Advertisements

CobReTTi

CobReTTi

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello!
I have same problem, how Monty4317 describe'd it! So i checked in many sites and forums but without any success, tried WhoCrashed and it wont run becouse of some kind of errors... And Event viewer dont show this problem too! Tried many drivers and Catalyst Control Centers, changed Vcore voltage from 1.6 to 1.7, changed PSU from 350W to 400W used stress tests (even they dont crash the card, its only in the games like WoW, CS 1.6, STALKER:SOC). So im confussed!
I just dont wanna spend anymore money on this PC! The only option what i have left(my thoughts) is buy a new PC!
MB: Asrock K7VT4A+
CPU: AMD athlon 2500+ (barton)
GPU: Radeon HD 3650 Club 3D
PSU: 400W
HDD: Exelstor Tech 7200 RPM 80Gb

Thank You earlier, maybe u guys better find a solution than me...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
:welcome: CobReTTi

Please provide the brand and model name or number of your PSU, the HD 3650 requires a 400W which you now have but the card requires 22 amps on the +12V rail and if your PSU cannot provide this you will get system hangs/crashes when the computer is put under load, also keep in mind that using the underpowered 350W may have permanently damaged the video card and other items of hardware.

How much Ram do you have.

For future reference CobReTTi
Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.

CobReTTi

CobReTTi

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oo Sorry! Next time ill start new topic.
Yea i have 1.5 Gb Ram DDR(400)
PSU have 15A on +12v

Damned, how i said need to look for other PSU(for realy cheap) or buy a new PC.

Thanks for Help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Ram is all good then and so the PSU is definitely a strong contender :(

As an asides CobReTTi after more in depth research I found an AGP version of the card only requires 350W, here is some info for you Here

Lets take a look at your PSU output;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

CobReTTi

CobReTTi

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok here it is! but i dont realy get why it now dont show in fans any RPM statuss :/. And yes, i have Club 3D Ati Radeon HD 3650 AGP 4x/8x, 512 Mb/64 Bit Clock 600MHz/RAMDAC Clock 400MHz.
SpeedFan.jpg

Edited by CobReTTi, 02 November 2013 - 06:06 PM.