Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing graphics card

• Please log in to reply

damddrew

damddrew

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
have acquired a emachines w5243 system, all that i know is its a vista os.
and its an AMD Athlon 64 chip

when monitor is connected, the monitor gets no signal ... altho its got an nvidea chipset built into the mobo, i think its shot.

when opening the case, im unsure of the type of adapter to get. there are 3 pci slots, 1 pci express slot, and then an orange one? cant remember ever seeing one, unsure ... would this be a AGP?

also, all of my previous towers, have been intel ....
plus, would anyone think this pc i speak of ... would overclock?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Overclocking is non existant on eMachines.
You can put a separate PCI Express x 16 graphics card in this machine, which is unusual for eMachines but there you go.
Before splashing out on a separate card you should check the machine is still working with a known working card. It's plausible the machine is actually totally dead because it's got a Bestec power supply in it.

Edited by Neil Jones, 24 January 2010 - 02:42 PM.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
person it came from, complained about it shutting down alot ... finally, the light and fan would be working, but the monitor only says 'no signal' ....
you mentioned that those pcs are known for their bad power supply's? might this be the cause?
if i were to attempt to resurrect this pc, what all would you recommend me replacing?
thx

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can try a new power supply on it first but if the symptoms don't clear themselves up with a new one of those you will have to consider replacing the board as well.
Lots of eMachines die in the same way - poor power supplies that last about three years before they end up taking the entire system out.